Retrieving measurement data using HART

S

Sytse Reitsma

I want to retrieve the level measurements from a radar distance meter using a 8051 microcontroller and a serial HART modem (Smar's HI311). I'm only interested in the measured level, I do not need to configure the distance meter at all.

How can this be done? I only learned about HART a couple of days ago and it is not as obvious as I thought it would be. Is it possible to simple send a succession of serial commands every time I need the level?

I'm the only master and there is only one HART slave (the distance meter) in the system. So far I learned that should make things a little easier for me.

Thanks,

Sytse

J
This is Jonas of SMAR.

The HI311/HI321 is an excellent RS232/USB interfaces for PC

Since you mentioned 8051 microcontroller it sounds like you want to build an embedded device. In this case the SMAR HT2012 or HT2015 chip might be a better solution. Please contact me on the address below so we can discuss.
However, if you want to get the data into the PC just use the HI311 - no need for 8051 controller. Please let me know where you want this level reading to go. Whichever way you need to the HART protocol in software somewhere. For PC there is already plenty of software available, including OPC servers. For embedded device you need to buy or develop the communication stack.

There is a third alternative, use the SMAR HCC301 converter to convert HART to 4-20 mA and bring this signal into a PLC, DCS, controller, indicator, recorder or whatever.

Jonas Berge
SMAR
===========
[email protected]
www.smar.com
Learn fieldbus and industrial Ethernet at your own pace:
www.isa.org/fieldbuses