Serial Analyzer Software

W

William Sturm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good and reasonably priced (or free) RS-232 analyzer that runs on Windows. I have tried one or two free ones with mixed results. I used to have MS-DOS based packaged that worked great, but it is hard to find a portable computer that runs MS-DOS and has two serial ports. I need something that I can count on to give reliable logging and time stamping. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Bill Sturm

J

Jerry Miille

Bill, go to FTE.COM and get their Serial Test Async product. You will need two "real serial ports" to get the time stamping you are requesting, USB to serial converters cannot do this. You can purchase a PC (PCMCIA) card that will work fine IF YOU HAVE THAT OPTION available. They support several models, I think, but I use one from National Instruments and it works flawlessly.

I have used the FTE Serial Test Async product for many years (way back into the DOS years), and absolutely swear by it. This product is not free (although I think they might still offer a free trial version) but is very reasonably priced. It does what they say it can do! I never leave home without it as the old American Express ad used to say.

They also offer several "decoder" options, at additional cost of course that also may be of interest to you.

I am not affiliated with FTE in any way but am a very happy user and have been for many years. Check them out!

Jerry Miille

C

curt wuollet

Look at Frontline. They're not hugely expensive and they seem to know what they are doing. I've used their stuff when I didn't have a Linux box handy. Years ago and recently.

Regards
cww

W

William Sturm

Thanks for the replies. I've looked at Frontline and I'm glad to hear that their stuff works properly (sometimes a major assumption). I do have two real serial ports available, and I even have a T cable.

Bill Sturm

C

curt wuollet

And the last time I looked they also had a USB setup for the new portless machines. Before Frontline I used a shareware DOS product from Paladin, but I can't remember the name.

Regards
cww

J

Jerry Miille

Not to worry, Bill they even include a "T" cable with their software, at least they used to when I purchased it. I don't think you can go wrong!

Jerry Miille