Stud positions troubleshoot

Having a little troubleshooting fun on two Fisher valves that were installed way before I got this job here. Both fisher valves are labeled 657 60i 3/4 travel. Everything is the exact same except one is rated cl1500/3750 psi and the other cl1500/3750 psi cwp. Also the only other difference in the two is one has the studs mounted in a different direction than the other. Both valves run a spillback for a pump that feeds 1700psi 560 degree gas oil.

My question is does the direction of which the flanges and studs are installed matter for proper flow of oil or was this installed incorrectly years before my time? Also would either the cwp added to the end of the valve label or the flange stud placement play any part in bouncing or sporadic flow and amperage jumps for the one pump that it is installed on?DF3ECFD2-793C-48A4-B702-801668DB4A5A.jpeg

The only thing I observed in the pictures provided was that the packing gland studs on one valve were in line with flow and on the other valve the packing gland studs were 90 degrees out from the flow.

However, packing gland stud position has nothing to do with valve performance, pressure ratings, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that info. I couldn’t get clarity on the manuals because it says for one packing something with the flanges needs to get rotated 90 degrees from flow.

would you know if having the CWP at the end of the pressure rating would have any differencein the internals of the valve if one is labeled cwp and one isn’t even though the rating is the same numbers? The valve that’s in question is only one labeled CL1500/3750 psi cwp

wog = water oil gas and so on.
naming has changed over the years. cwp stands for cold working pressure at 100 degF.
Your process is 1700 psi and both valves are rated at 3750 psi... over 2 times the pressure of the process.
Both are fisher valves with plenty of info/specs available online...

Yea I did like 2 days on research for fisher valves before I posted it’s odd that one of the two valves reacts and responds so much differently than the other and the only difference is it has cwp in rating and the studs were rotated 90 degrees.

We will continue our covert operation troubleshooting and start looking into the the actuator or positioner since the supply and output pressure gauges are both reading at zero all the time and occasionally the output pressure gauge will jump up and then zero when communicated to move. Any output over 75% open gets the indicator to wiggle around trying to hold it from open and it will fail open occasionally. Also the noise output from the bad actor is 10 times louder than the other. Will start checking into air leaks.