Temperature Sensing via a PC

A

Ashwin Nagarajan

Hi.
I need to measure temperature, and preferable record as well as control the temperature via a computer. How do I go about it?
Do I use a thermocouple, or is it preferable to use Digital Thermometers, like the ones manufactured by MAXIM, ie Dallas Semiconductors, say DS1822, DS1775, or similar?
Where can I find the circuit diagrams required for such interfaces?

Thanks,
Ashwin

Hello Ashwin,

The choice of temperature sensor really depends upon temperature range and accuracy. If you are looking at high temps, then a thermocouple is the way to go. If you are only looing at temps from 0-100°C then a semiconductor device may be more appropriate.

Audon Electronics offer the TP-200 temperature probe for the LabJack USB data acquisition unit. The TP-200 is a stainless steel probe with a -50 to 150°C temp range. The LabJack is a low cost USB based data acquisition unit that can acquire 8 analogue inputs. It also has 20 digital I/O for control. If you need to use thermocouples, Audon will soon release a thermocouple amplifier board for the LabJack. see "www.audon.co.uk/labjack.html":http://www.audon.co.uk/labjack.html

I think, AD590 ic chip used for the range of -50 to 150 C . and The main thing is how to take it to pc data port. Just by any ADC conversion method..with a buffer you can give to parallar port,,,read periodically with interrupt handling methods..

Do you know somebody with the name: Himanshu Mhatre
If u never did please ignore this mail.
I'm trying to find an old buddy of mine that goes with your name.
On the other hand if you do know me. Well mail me at
[email protected]
(i would appreciate if you could let me know
if u dont know me. It will clear the confusion

,Thanks
Himanshu