The top most used PLC systems around the world

Wow does nobody use GE anymore? I come from a GE background well... my plant mainly used GE from series six's to pax RX7I's... actually we even had a few series one's on our gantry cranes.

C
They seem to have lost a lot of their popularity, I don't hear much. I don't think of them for anything new, I'm sure the PLCs are OK, I just haven't liked their software after logicmaster LM90. Reminds me of Step 7, I guess tools are important.

Regards,
cww

M
Cimplicity/Proficy Machine Edition is one of those tools that reminds me of Will Smith's line in the movie <i>Men in Black</i> about "unlimited technology" and Agent K's Ford LTD. The original quote is boderline if we're keeping the language clean here.

Mike

I work with S7-300/400/1200 and ControlLogix AB and also ABB PLC AC70-110-and 450 PLC.

ABB PLC are very powerful and easy to understand. Why is not used
extensively in the world?
I think it has nothing less than Siemens and AB

C
That's an interesting question.

The short answer is that it may have nothing less than the others, but really doesn't offer anything more. For the stuff i do, which is admittedly not very complex, but arguably pretty much average for machine building and integration, I can think of at least a dozen brands that I could use, and all would get the job done. Some systems (software and hardware) would cost more than an order of magnitude more than others. Some are almost inobtainium or they think 3-6 weeks is a reasonable lead time. Some, I would have to deal with an unpleasant and tedious distribution process to obtain. Some require what I consider to be horrible, bloated software to use. A few, I'm skeptical about long term spares. And some, I find their averice and/or proprietary zeal to be annoying.

So I picked one that OEM'd to everyone at one time. offers free software, at the low end of the cost spectrum, that offers free two day delivery, with 24 hour online ordering, doesn't want $100 for a cable, uses standard connectors, etc. etc. I find the software fast and efficient to use, and I haven't found anything that I needed to do but couldn't. I have at least 50 units commissioned with zero problems. It is not one of the "Big Names".

If someone wants Brand X or Y and is willing to pay for it. I will use that. But I'm pretty agnostic because I work with several brands at least occasionally, and my criteria are those that allow me to be most productive and cost effective. When sales types try to sell me something I just go down the list and ask how they compare. They usually don't do very well, and can't come up with a compelling reason to change. ABB is an old and well established firm and they make some great stuff, but there's no local support and it's spendy and harder to obtain.

There are just a lot of reasons why different folk use what they use. And some people just _like_ one brand and will ride through Hell and high water to use it. I prefer that which makes my job easier. Different use cases may be facilitated by more specialized systems, but logic PLCs are mature and a commodity.

Regards
cww

P
thanks for the details information.

in China, the most popular in factory automation is Panasonic PLC, Mitsubishi PLC, Omron PLC. i think their advantage is in position and motion control. however in most field need data collection, Siemens PLC is most popular, their advantage is analog module in my opinion.

Eusens Control System Co.,Ltd
Panyu Luoxi Guangzhou China

Curt makes some really good points, but another question is: are you the integrator or the end user? As an end user my goal is standardization on a scale-able solution. I work for a manufacturing company, which has bounced around with the recommendation of integrator preferences for the last 30 years, that results in a library of 63 PLC programming applications. Recently we have begun migration to OMRON SYSMAC which gives PLC, Motion, Safety, vision, & HMI in a single application.

G
I&#8217;d say the most common brands nowadays would be Allen Bradley or Omron. Depending on the age of the manufacturing facility and part of the world though. I know a lot of places still use Reliance Electric Automax plc's. They can be tough to find since they are obsolete, but some places still have them for sale like http://axcontrol.com

J
Hello, In Mexico te most Popular is AB, Siemens and Omron in that order, also i have worked with Bosh Rexroth.

Regards