Thermal Mass Flow Meters

S

Saqib Ali Rana

Hi,

I am doing a presentation on Flow Meters. I want to know the general guidelines for Thermal Mass Flow Meters Installation. There are specific product websites but I want general instruction guidelines.

Hi,

I have experience installing few thermal mass flow meter. Maybe it can help you.
- Upstream & downstream straight run requirement. 15D upstream & 10D downstream.
- Probe should be inserted in the pipe so that sensor stays at half of pipe.
- Try to avoid the location where moisture is present.
- Take care of flow direction while installing the flow meter.

I guess that's it.

Regards

J
One important consideration for Thermal Mass Flow Meters is that since they use analog circuitry (and other reasons), their calibration is prone to drift somewhat more than other meter types. If the user wants to maintain accuracy relatively frequent (1 to 4 times per year) recalibration is likely required. You might note that many of the manufacturers offer calibration equipment just for this purpose.

John Catch
http://www.inflowinc.com

T

TrinhNgocHai

Hi,

I am preparing for 2008 investment, and I would like to install 2 flow meters for our fan: one for 440mm diameter air pipe, one for 300mm diameter air pipe. I am considering themal mass flow meter. Could you give me any recommendation? Thank you for your support!

Best regards,

ngochaiccr @ gmail. com

R

Rohit Chandak

Some of the points to be remembered while installing a Thermal Mass Flow Meter:

1. There are different design to suit the requirement Inline Meter, Single Point Insertion & Multipoint Insertion.

2. Your installation procedure depends on the meter being selected.

3. In general, a single point is very commonly used, hence we talk about that.

4. For line size up to 8" seeing velocity at center of the pipe does make sense. So order the sensor length in such a way that you are able to see the centre line of the pipe.

5. For all the line size above 8" I would recommend sensing velocity at 1/3rd of the diameter. 1/3rd is considered as point of average velocity provided straight length is met.

6. While ordering (if its threaded assembly) order for extra length so that you can do a manual travesing during installation to locate the average velocity point.

7. Align the sensor with the direction of flow. This is very important if the RTD sizes are different, else there would be a thermal dispersion from heated RTD to reference RTD.

8. In moisture content application, install the sensor at an angle.

There are various factors for flow meter installation: it also depends on velocity, temperature, pressure, moisture, piping orientation, etc. etc.

Hope above brief information is of help to you. If you have any specific question please do let me know over my email.

R

Rohit Chandak

If it is a dry or hot air application it is a good choice. Look at multipoint thermal mass if straight length are not available else single point is good enough. Visit our website, http://www.chandakinstruments.com to have more information.

Best Wishes,
Rohit Chandak