water level controller

• Thread starter Mehdi Mohamad Hasani
  • Start date
M

Mehdi Mohamad Hasani

Dear sirs
Hi
I'm student of Shiraz university (B.S. under graduating). I'm studying mechanical engineering.
I am doing a project on water level controller.
I have a tank that has an inlet and outlet.
The outlet valve is an ordinary valve that operator open and close verses he need. I think it is possible for the inlet we use valve
actuator that open and close with 4-20mA (current). I want to control the level by using computer.
I need help regarding the programming and the hardware (sensors) for water level detection.

Your faithfully
Mehdi Mohamad Hasani

D
Depending on the size of tank, volume of flow available in and out, and accuracy required you can do a number of things. Easiest is a pair of flygt float switches, one to open and close a motorized valve, and one to alarm if it gets too full and the valve fails open.

If you require more accurate level control, want to avoid water hammer etc, I would go to an analog water level sensor, a PID controller, and a modulating valve. With a bit of playing around, you should be able to get the valve to open quickly when tank is drained quickly. Alternately, a small outflow would cause only a small opening of the valve.

Simple PID controllers are available from the HVAC industry, much cheaper than a PLC.

Hope this helps.

L

Larry Kolbert

A multitude of ultra sonic level sensors exist that can be used for this simple application. ThermoMeasureTech, Milltronics, Drexelbrook,Endress & Hauser to name a few. All have devices that output 4-20mA signals that you
can use to assist in control.

L.Kolbert.

J
Dear Hasani,

There are a few ways. We have done several similar student projects in
Singapore and elsewhere.

1. Pressure transmitter (level connection) with 4-20 mA output to controller with 4-20 mA output to positioner on control valve actuator. The controller connects to the PC through interface of some protocol on RS485
- This has been done for decades and is not an interesting project

2. Pressure transmitter (level connection) with HART communication and built-in controller with 4-20 mA output to positioner on control valve
actuator. The transmiiter connects to the PC through interface of the HART protocol
- This is a bit interesting

3. Pressure transmitter (level connection) and positioner on control valve actuator both with H1 FOUNDATION(tm) Fieldbus communication. Both connect to the PC through a linking device via HSE FOUNDATION(tm) Fieldbus on Ethernet.
- This is very new and interesting

Best regards,
Jonas Berge