What is the difference between FREQUENCY CONTROL MODE AND ISOCHRONOUS MODE?

Dear Sirs/Ma'am,

We have 2 nos. of GTGs of Siemens of 18MVA each.
As usual, these Generators consists of ISOCHRONOUS MODE, DROOP MODE and LOAD CONTROL MODE. However, there is an additional mode "FREQUENCY CONTROL" which can be switched ON along with DROOP/ISOCHRONOUS mode.

Can anyone elaborate what is the difference between FREQUENCY CONTROL ON mode and ISOCHRONOUS mode?

Please note that FREQUENCY CONTROL MODE is not an independent mode i.e. it can be switched on only with DROOP MODE or ISOCHRONOUS MODE.

Dear Sirs/Ma'am,

As usual, these Generators consists of ISOCHRONOUS MODE, DROOP MODE and LOAD CONTROL MODE. However, there is an additional mode "FREQUENCY CONTROL" which can be switched ON along with DROOP/ISOCHRONOUS mode.

Can anyone elaborate what is the difference between FREQUENCY CONTROL ON mode and ISOCHRONOUS mode?

Please note that FREQUENCY CONTROL MODE is not an independent mode i.e. it can be switched on only with DROOP MODE or ISOCHRONOUS MODE.
Are the Two GTs operating in parallel?

Dear Sirs/Ma'am,

Dear Eurydice,

Are the unit operating on grid ( infinite/large ) or "small grid " like an utility/factory??

Do the units are capable of peak load? base load?

There a lot of things to discuss about this control mode and other associated ( droop and isochronous) , you should not asking yourself what is the differences between isochronous or droop mode as they both involved in the controls scheme !

Have you already operated these units in "Frequency control", if yes what is your opinion?

There been some threads posted here , discussing about frequency control , here one of them you should read :
https://control.com/forums/threads/frequency-regulation.29729/

The thing is that "frequency control" is divided in 3 levels :

Primary frequency response ( done by turbine governor/controller)
Secondary frequency response ( done by" AGC Automatic Generation control")
Tertiary frequency response ( see definition on the link below)

Please have a read on this article:
https://top10electrical.blogspot.com/2015/10/primary-secondary-and-tertiary.html
Isochronous and droop mode are clearly involved during Frequency control/response.

I would also suggest you to have a look on the web , as they are some interesting documents that can answer to your essentials questions.

I found one article ( will try to post here) a very interesting description and tests (theory and practice) of these controls mode in power generation.

Thank you for sharing with us here your feedback,

James.

Dear Eurydice,

Are the unit operating on grid ( infinite/large ) or "small grid " like an utility/factory??

Do the units are capable of peak load? base load?

There a lot of things to discuss about this control mode and other associated ( droop and isochronous) , you should not asking yourself what is the differences between isochronous or droop mode as they both involved in the controls scheme !

Have you already operated these units in "Frequency control", if yes what is your opinion?

There been some threads posted here , discussing about frequency control , here one of them you should read :
https://control.com/forums/threads/frequency-regulation.29729/

The thing is that "frequency control" is divided in 3 levels :

Primary frequency response ( done by turbine governor/controller)
Secondary frequency response ( done by" AGC Automatic Generation control")
Tertiary frequency response ( see definition on the link below)

Please have a read on this article:
https://top10electrical.blogspot.com/2015/10/primary-secondary-and-tertiary.html
Isochronous and droop mode are clearly involved during Frequency control/response.

I would also suggest you to have a look on the web , as they are some interesting documents that can answer to your essentials questions.

I found one article ( will try to post here) a very interesting description and tests (theory and practice) of these controls mode in power generation.

Thank you for sharing with us here your feedback,

James.
Thanks James. I will go through the links and come back..

Regards

Dear ControlGuy25,

Would you please post the link to the control modes of Generators, i'm really interested, please

( I found one article ( will try to post here) a very interesting description and tests (theory and practice) of these controls mode in power generation. )

Best regards,
Khalifa.

Dear ControlGuy25,

Would you please post the link to the control modes of Generators, i'm really interested, please

( I found one article ( will try to post here) a very interesting description and tests (theory and practice) of these controls mode in power generation. )

Best regards,
Khalifa.
Dear Khalifa,

Actually there are many good articles and documents on the Web, discussing/treating on these controls mode in power generation

I cant attach them all here ( the files sizes are too big ).

Here is attached one of these files...

You can send me a PM , then i will share those files ( no problems)

Best regards,
James

Attachments

Dear Khalifa,

Actually there are many good articles and documents on the Web, discussing/treating on these controls mode in power generation

I cant attach them all here ( the files sizes are too big ).

Here is attached one of these files...

You can send me a PM , then i will share those files ( no problems)

Best regards,
James
Thank you so much Mr. ControlGuy25 for your prompt reply.
Would you please reach me on my business email [email protected] as we have a technical issue to discuss.
PS: I could not find a link to PM you.
Awaiting your soonest reply.
Regards.

Dear Sirs/Ma'am,

Assume isolated operation.
Droop mode is proportional control. Control action goes on till mechanical power matches with load keeping frequency reference fixed.
Isochronous mode is integral control. Control action goes on till frequency matches with the fixed reference frequency.
Above refers to "primary control".

In both the modes frequency reference can also be adjusted after primary control action is over (in few seconds), under what is called "secondary control" mode. Also called Automatic Generation Control (AGC).