Today is...
Wednesday, June 26, 2019
Welcome to Control.com, the global online
community of automation professionals.
Featured Video...
Featured Video
EtherCAT with CTC’s master lets your multivendor network play well together...
Our Advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive
Gas flow rate measurement for a wellhead separator
For flow measurement of gas, is the flowmeter normally upstream or downstream of the pressure control valve?

For flow measurement of gas leaving a wellhead separator, is the flowmeter normally upstream or downstream of the pressure control valve? Also what does the reported flowrate of say 200 Mcfd actually mean?

I work for a small company that writes software for oil and gas wells. At the moment we are writing models for the wellhead separator and associated flowmeters and control valves. I have a question about the measurement of the flowrate of gas leaving the separator. Are these flowmeters normally upstream or downstream of the pressure control valve?

Secondly, I have seen flowrates reported by these flowmeters of, say 200 Mcfd, which is unfortunately a volume measurement so is subject to interpretation of what it actually means (wouldn’t be a problem if it was a mass rate). Does this represent the actual volume of gas flowing at the line pressure and temperature? Or does it represent a value which has been somehow corrected to a stock tank value? If so, how is this normally done?