Introduction

Hi everyone, just thought I would introduce myself to the group. I'm John and I have over 25 years experience as a service engineer, maintaining air compressor equipment and nitrogen generators. As the whole COVID-19 crisis is still very much prevalent, I thought I would utilise my spare time to be of help to others/engage in this forum.

It would be great to hear what some of you others do!

Thanks, John

Welcome to the forum, John.

I'm near the end of a career in process instrumentation and SCADA data collection and contribute to the fora because I can remember how difficult it was to discover some of the things I learned the hard way in the course of troubleshooting problems. I hope you find your time spent here worthwhile.

Hi, John,

I have accumulated almost 37 years of experience working on turbine control systems of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines. My experience has been primarily installing & commissioning new turbines and control systems but I have also been troubleshooting and repairing them. The most enjoyable part of work (passion, really) has been retrofitting (upgrading) turbine control systems. (One is usually given this task with very little time to complete it and told it is the "critical path" task of the entire project being undertaken at the same time which means people believe you will be holding up the return to service of the unit. And when you are waiting for them it is an extremely satisfying feeling (better than drugs, actually--I presume, since I've never taken drugs). The feeling lasts for a long time.)

I've also been teaching GE turbine control system maintenance and turbine-generator operation and troubleshooting for most of my time in the profession.

I contribute to this forum because a very nice man who knew nothing about turbine control systems but everything about GE-design Frame 5's took me under his wing and taught me how turbines operate which allowed me to learn what the Control system must do and ultimately how the control system works it's magic to make the turbine and generator do their thing. I am paying it back.

I also believe that there is a huge gap in the information provided by GE and the information and training required for people to be able to properly operate maintain and troubleshoot these pieces of equipment. There is a lot of incorrect tribal knowledge that has developed and spread which results in a lot of wasted time, effort, money and frustration.

I choose this forum because, unlike many others I have visited, some (but not many) of the people who post for help and information actually write back to let us know if the help and information provided was useful--or not. We encourage people to provide feedback--because it lets others who read the posts now and in the future know if the help or information provided was useful, or not, which helps them decide if it might be applicable to their problem or need to know. It's how these fora should work, and this forum is a great example of that because, in my personal opinion, the people frequenting this forum do provide feedback and thank the people who do provide feedback. We like to say here, "Feedback is the most important contribution!"(c) here at Control.com.

Welcome!

(Oh, as with David_2 (one of our best responders!) I, too, am reaching the end of my professional career. I'm thinking of taking up 3D printing as a new hobby. And I'm probably going to stop contributing here--on gas turbine controls-related issues, anyway.)

Hi, John,

I have accumulated almost 37 years of experience working on turbine control systems of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines. My experience has been primarily installing & commissioning new turbines and control systems but I have also been troubleshooting and repairing them. The most enjoyable part of work (passion, really) has been retrofitting (upgrading) turbine control systems. (One is usually given this task with very little time to complete it and told it is the "critical path" task of the entire project being undertaken at the same time which means people believe you will be holding up the return to service of the unit. And when you are waiting for them it is an extremely satisfying feeling (better than drugs, actually--I presume, since I've never taken drugs). The feeling lasts for a long time.)

I've also been teaching GE turbine control system maintenance and turbine-generator operation and troubleshooting for most of my time in the profession.

I contribute to this forum because a very nice man who knew nothing about turbine control systems but everything about GE-design Frame 5's took me under his wing and taught me how turbines operate which allowed me to learn what the Control system must do and ultimately how the control system works it's magic to make the turbine and generator do their thing. I am paying it back.

I also believe that there is a huge gap in the information provided by GE and the information and training required for people to be able to properly operate maintain and troubleshoot these pieces of equipment. There is a lot of incorrect tribal knowledge that has developed and spread which results in a lot of wasted time, effort, money and frustration.

I choose this forum because, unlike many others I have visited, some (but not many) of the people who post for help and information actually write back to let us know if the help and information provided was useful--or not. We encourage people to provide feedback--because it lets others who read the posts now and in the future know if the help or information provided was useful, or not, which helps them decide if it might be applicable to their problem or need to know. It's how these fora should work, and this forum is a great example of that because, in my personal opinion, the people frequenting this forum do provide feedback and thank the people who do provide feedback. We like to say here, "Feedback is the most important contribution!"(c) here at Control.com.

Welcome!

(Oh, as with David_2 (one of our best responders!) I, too, am reaching the end of my professional career. I'm thinking of taking up 3D printing as a new hobby. And I'm probably going to stop contributing here--on gas turbine controls-related issues, anyway.)
Hi CSA , when you stop your contribution here, we will be miss you so much
i has read a LOT of your responses and always learn something new.

i really hope you visit the forum once in a while

best regards and thank you for your time

RATM

Thanks all for your responses, lovely to virtually meet you all. Recently required a for pressure control product for my application and was unsure on what to get, but all sorted with thanks from a local pressure control product supplier!