ADC interfacing with PC

S

Sam S

I want to measure voltage and current using a PC. To do this, I need to interface an ADC with a PC. Can anyone tell me (in detail) how this can be done? (or) if you can think of any other method of measuring voltage and current without an ADC, do let me know.

I am planning to use ADC 0808 or any equivalent. I will interface it with a 8255 PPI. My doubt is whether I can use a RS 232 to interface the 8255 with the PC? Also, how do I write the coding to get the digital values into my application in the PC?

To measure/acquire signals using pc u need a ADC (AD 574, ADC0804, ADC 0808 (with 8 ch.MUX)), latch (74ls378) and buffer (74ls244) and a S/H (e.g LF398) etc.

Programs can be written in 'c'. resources are given in the operating system itself. for further details contact me thru' my mail at [email protected]. all the best!

if ur doing project then i'll go for printer port interfacing to 8255 and write program in c or in vb using proper .dll file

if u want to design for industrial appliction then u may buy pci card costing about 2400 Rs.

I am a student. For the purpose of my project i need to retrive data from an ADC(0809) to measure the voltage and current through it. It will be easy for me if u opt for C-programming.

mail me please at <[email protected]>

first of all write all the data sequence to aquire data from ckt.
if u are using c lang. then
#include<dos.h>
#include<conio.h>
#include<stdio.h>
void main()
{

//for input port address for status pins is 0x379
//for data lins address is 0x378
//for control port addressis 0x37a

//for input
int a;
a=inportb(0x379);
printf("input is :%d",a);
//for ouput
//outportb("0x378,data");
outportb("0x378,1");

}
according to ur data sequence send data and acqure data from the printer port
if
u r planning for Rs232
then
u can use max232 ic for this
and 89c52 intercacing

hi,

i am also doing a project called "pc based digital signal processing". i am planing to use ad670 & ppi8255. i am planning to write interfacing code in c++ builder.if any one knows any ppi except 8255 please help me.

[email protected]

Hello all,
I made a SCADA package for my final year project, for an RTU I connected an ADC to the parallel port. It's quite simple for an 8-bit ADC, but that resolution isn't great and I got lots of spurious data, possible because of grounding Issues.

For those of you who are doing a university project (obviously this message comes too late for this year!-sorry), visit http://www.lvr.com/ and you will find information there - I would recommend buying the book - it's very good. Remember to give the author the credit they deserve.

For those of you just wishing to measure voltage/current - from my experience it's a little flaky using ADC and PP. Do as Dr. Friedrich Haase suggests and buy a ready-to-go RS232 version.

I'm also planning to 'declare' the software and hardware by using tcl/tk language programming.Hope you can give a comment about it.

if u have any circuit that similar to the project, would you mind if you share it with me? ^o^

Can you please tell me or send some document that tells how you interface the ADC with the PC's parallel port as somebody told me that it may damage the port and also the motherboard?

F
I am Firman, Indonesian student. I want to use ADC 0808 and interface with parallel port. I will be using visual basic. Could you help me?

I do not understand how to program the ADC0808.

I hope you can help me.