Anti-collision sensor

S

Saran

Hello,

I am a grad student and working on a project, details of which I, unfortunately cannot share. However what I can tell you is we use a system that generates a lot of steam and there will be a fairly low speed part moving in that steam. However, there are going to be other stationary parts in the steam and if not controlled properly, the moving part can hit them. So we require a sensor that is capable of seeing through this thick fog. The minimum distance we are required to maintain is approximately 3 in. and the sensor need not be very accurate. So far we have tried laser and IR based ones and they have been unable to see through the steam. Inductive or capacitive proximity sensors have a much smaller range than what we are looking for. The most promising results have so far come from ultrasonic sensors. However at a distance of 3-6 in., the beam width is too small and since the stationary part is not flat throughout, we may need many of such sensors, which is over budget for us. So I was wondering if you guys can help me out here and suggest something outside of what I have already tried.

Thanks in advance
Saran

G

Gerald Beaudoin

Did you consider just measuring/controlling the absolute position of the moving part...X, Y, Z? If everything else is stationary, then by simply setting limits you should be able to avoid the fixed objects. Perhaps I am missing some elements here?

Gerald Beaudoin