C & I Documentation

I am new for GT (6FA machine with mark V). Need guidance to know the C&I related documents availability for study.

Where i can get the following:

List of instruments installed in a machine
Instruments manual
List of instruments specification (model, range)
List of operational setting for alarm and trip
Cable schedule, JB grouping, TB details
Control loop diagrams and write up, etc.

Here's the very best thing you can do for yourself.

Find out where the Operations & Service Manuals that were provided by the packager of the turbine-generator and auxiliaries are located. Start with the first binder/volume, and take it to a quiet place, and start paging through it. The early volumes in the set usually have tabs for each system of the package (Starting Means; Lube Oil; Hydraulic Oil; Gas Fuel; etc.). And, in each section is usually a short, GENERIC written description of the system and its components and how they all work together. There should also be a P&Id for the system--make several copies of the P&ID, as large as you can make the copies. Newer manuals also have the various manufacturer's data sheets and descriptions for the components of the system. Do this for every system.

A lot of the newer Manuals have EXTENSIVE sections/volumes with LOTS of paper copies of the control system manuals. They are good to page through, when you have time, and you can use tabs on the edges of the pages to mark things you want to return to and investigate more.

You need personal copies of EVERY system P&ID for the unit, and you want to assemble those copies and study them carefully. Then you want to take each P&ID out to the unit and locate all of the devices on the unit.

As you go through the various sections of the manuals you will find a drawing/document called the Device Summary--it contains a list of all of the devices provided with the turbine and accessory package and most of the auxiliaries, along with the calibration settings/ranges of the devices (pressure switches; temperature switches; pressure transmitters; etc.).

You will also find the electrical drawings you are looking for.

You should also ask someone who was around at the time the unit was installed and commissioned if the start-up/commissioning personnel left any drawings behind. You are looking for the Cable Block Diagram, and the Interconnection Diagram in particular. There two drawings are very important to have and refer to. You may find they are "red-lined" copies made by the start-up and commissioning personnel--those are the best to have. Make sure you know where those drawings are kept, and that they are kept clean and dry. Ask you plant supervisors/managers to get color copies made, because one set is never enough, and put the originals in a safe place.

Another drawing/document you are looking for is called the "Control Specification." It has some good system information and descriptions, as well as settings and parameters for the turbine control system. That's another good thing to make a personal copy of.

You may find a drawing/document called the "Piping Symbols" drawing. That has a key/legend to the various symbols on the P&IDs and is very useful in understanding the P&IDs. GE-design heavy duty gas turbine P&IDs may seem daunting at first--but if you want to a good technician you MUST learn these drawings and be able to find the devices out on the unit and auxiliaries. Make notes on your copy(s) of the drawings as you need--they're YOUR drawings, and the notes you make now will help you understand them now and in the future. Make notes on any copies of drawings/documents you make for yourself--they're YOURS and the notes are very helpful now and in the future.

I wish there was one manual I could refer you to--but there's not. You have to manually go through each and every manual, thumbing through the pages, sometimes one at a time, and you will find a wealth of information there. And you will find LOTS of things you want to go back to later--that's what the post-it notes/tabs you put on the edges of the pages are for. Don't worry if someone complains about the notes/tabs--most people never look at the manuals, and if you do, and if you become familiar with the manuals and the information in the manuals you will become the "go-to" person for information in the plant. (That means every time someone wants to get good information about the unit, they will "go to" you!) And, it's very satisfying (sometimes) to be the go-to person. You will learning and teaching others--all because you took the time to do something most other people didn't and won't. And, you can refer to the information in the Manuals when people ask you how you know that--it's a good feeling, trust me.

So, this takes time. It takes a few weeks, considering you have other duties and responsibilities at the site which take up most of your time. But, I guarantee you if you do this you will be well-regarded at your plant, and if you want a job at another plant with similar equipment (and all GE-design heavy duty gas turbines are similar.!.!.!) you can take the knowledge you have and get a better-paying job at another plant. All because you took the time to study the manuals and learn the systems.

Hope this helps!

We're here to answer questions, too. The GE-design heavy duty gas turbine community has been around on control.com for more than 15 years, and a LOT of the same questions have been asked and answered more than once. And all those previous threads can be accessed using the 'Search' feature on the Menu bar at the top of every control.com webpage. (Use the 'Help' the first couple of times to learn the search syntax!).

And, lastly, we LOVE feedback--whether the information provided was helpful or not. Feedback is what makes the threads and information on the forum really helpful to others--now and in the future. Without feedback, one reading the threads doesn't know if the information provided was useful or not--but if there's feedback, it's really easy to know if you can apply the information provided or not. So, if you can take a few minutes to write a questions, please--take a few minutes to provide feedback to let others, and the responders, know if the information they provided was useful, or not. All feedback is helpful.

Welcome to the control.com community!

I

Ikhtiander -

Hi Instrumentation,

All of documents that mentioned in your list are machine maker/OEM or system integrator related documentation. So you have to check what is as-built documents available from your machine/system. If you need more, the OEM or system integrator is the first you need to contact.

Can you please be more specific and detail what is machine or plant you are talking about?

Ikhtiander