C++ Program to communicate /w DOS using TCP/IP

R

Reny J Joseph

I want to write a serial communication program which uses TCP/IP in DOS platform (using VC++1.52)which facilitate two DOS O/S to transfer file or some words. I am new to this DOS environment. In one machine i am using Windows 98 (so it's command prompt) and another is pure MS DOS (don't remember the version).
Pls help me out

C

Chris Schene

The last time I wrote any software on a pure DOS environment I was using turbo C++ 3.0 by Borland in 1996. If you can find an old copy of TC it would probably work. You might have to look around for some old DOS programming books (perhaps a book on drivers) but the serial interface techniques are well documented.

If the response time didn't have to be especially fast, I would try using a standard file transfer program that can be interfaced to programmatically. Maybe even an ftp version that runs on DOS that is invoked by .cmd files.

Just curious: why don't you upgrade operating systems on the pure DOS PC? Then you can use a later version VC++.

You can refer to the book "TCP/IP Lean" second Edition by Jeremy Bentham, and the publisher of the book is CMP Books. The book publishes full source code of a DOS implementation of the TCP/IP protocol. The TCP/IP runs over the Ethernet or the serial interface over SLIP/PPP.

C

Curt Wuollet

As a suggestion you might look up the free packet driver collection. I'm sure there would be information and links around to source for
communications. Crynwr was a lifesaver for me a couple of times turning ancient PC's into ethernet workstations with DOS kermit and the packet drivers.

Regards
cww