cad/cam

T
Autocad is CAD software, so it has CAD capabilities. There are a number of post processors available that give it CAM capabilities, but CAM is not generic so post processors are specific to particular CNC machines.

We have Autocad v14. We installed a cnc kit on a milling machine. It came with software but it can only do basic designs i.e. letters numbers g code programs. We would like to make 3d drawings of parts and have them translated into the g codes. There are programs like Bob cad/cam but if we already have Autocad why buy another.

Thanks in advance
Mike

V

Vladimir E. Zyubin

Hello Mike,

No, it does not. It is just an e-pencil.
(there is a theoretical possibility to make
it looks like a cad system thou... i.e., it means
a lot of hard work with questionable result)

--
Best regards.
Vladimir E. Zyubin
mailto:[email protected]
Tuesday, November 26, 2002, 9:19:49 AM

AutoCAD or Microstation CAD packages do allow 3D but there are specific packages for modelling in 3D. For instance Pro Engineer and IDEAS are two who are excellent in this area. They are applied in a variety of industries - have analysis etc as inbuilt or with interfaces to other software.
Autocad has come a long way from its earlier drafting tool assitance days and has a good market share but i personally feel one should select a software meant for the application rather than a " we can do this too" package.
Again having said that it comes back to what and where u want to apply the software. If cost is paramount then maybe autocad can suffice since
it does 2D too !!!

C

Curt Wuollet

Conversely, if you need 3d cam why buy autocad and an expensive post processor?

Regards

cww

AutoCad can create G-Code for any machine your want. We generate code for Lasers, Waterjets, Routers, and CNC Millers. 2D ans 3D.

If you understand VBA or Lisp it is very easy to do.