com profibus and IM308c

N

Nick

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a profibus system using a iemens IM308C card as the master.

I know that I must upload the operating system from the com profibus software to the IM308c but when I goto this option on the software it is grayed out.

I m using a laptop running win98 and the CP5511 interface card to the profibus system, and com profibus v3.3

Has anyone else ever used this software? did you have similar problems? what systems did you have running it all?

Would anyone have any coments on using the newer versions of the com profibus software? If it's better then dose anyone know if it is still avilible for free anywere, as I'm told it used to be when it was first relesed?

Many thanks

Nick

"I know that I must upload the operating system from the com profibus software to the IM308c but when I goto this option on the software it is grayed out."

It only look's grayed out, but you can double click on it and edit the value.

I did some research on finding a newer release but could not find anything. I could not even locate a copy of it on the internet. It still works find on my new laptop using XP so until I find some replacement, I will still use it.

If anyone needs a copy, I could post it on my website. I don't think posting the old program would be a copyright violation but if so let me know.

Mark
esystemsusa.com

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hi All

[Donald Pittendrigh]
I don’t think Com Profibus was ever free and I know it hasn't been free since version 3 as I have dutifully purchased all the updates as I used the program quite a lot when I still worked on S5.

The Com Profibus configuration files must be stored on an eprom and this is plugged into the IM308C module. There were a few different kinds of modules available over the life of the IM308C and usually the graying out referred to is either because of the PC not having a suitable interface for the Eprom or if the hardware or its drivers are not installed.

I am not aware that version 3.3 was able to upload in any way from the IM308C, the upload referred to in the File menu is to read an eprom. I suggest you have a look for the manuals at the Siemens website, there are separate manuals for com profibus and for the IM308C and also for the ET200U or other IO station slaves which were popular at the time.

I would not assume that an older version of the software has become free as it has been superseded, the old versions are very likely still available to support the older hardware, but one way or another illicit copying of
software is piracy and or theft and ultimately results in increased prices of the product for those of us who for various reasons chose to do it legally.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh

Hi Nick,

A little late but maybe you need this information still.

I have used a newer version with the download to the IM 308C, the IM 308C must have the equipment release of version 6 {6ES5 308-3UC11} or higher to do this (there is also a newer one 6ES5 308-3UC21 where thats no problem). The release number is on the front, the highest crossed number is the release version, you can also update the firmware when the version is higher then 6.

When the menu's are grayed out then the driver(s) for the CP5511 or COM Profibus are not installed well. There are on the page by Siemens a lot of FAQ with installing the PCM/CIA card CP5511.

This is to find under ID:12259435 "Checklist for using a CP5511" where almost everything is mentioned about the CP5511. You can also search on COM Profibus. A newer version is must easier, but you have to buy it.

The FAQ's are on the page http://www4.ad.siemens.de where you can type by search the above mentioned number to go directly to the checklist or type some else, but you have to know what your question is because there is a lot of information on the page.

Best regards,

Lowiek