Communication between SVI 2 FF(SVI3211) with Yokogawa DCS Centum VP

Dear team members,
From last few months , we are facing a problem with control valves with GE Masoliniean SVI II FF(SVI3211) positioner. Without any reason, valves go to CNF/OOP mode from AUT/MAN mode. CNF is actually a communication failure error in Yokogawa DCS and OOP is output open . We are using Centum VP at our plant. SVI II FF models are fairly new positioners from GE and we started upgrading in year 2019. Following is the sequence of events that occurs:
Valve in Auto mode--->Valve goes to OOP mode--->After 10~15sec, valve goes to CNF mode--->After 10~15 sec, valve returns to MAN mode
So we discussed this issue with GE and Yokogawa and based on their recommendations, we did the following activities:
1. DCS ALF card replaced by new one
2. Mega Block replaced by new one
3. Branch cable replaced by new one
4. FF Firmware version up-grade done
5. Resource Block Parameter adjusted (i) like alert key set to 1, (ii) Grant All permission, (iii) Write priority set to 15
6. FF physical layer measurement done (Unbalance, noise, jetter, segment voltage, signal level …..all are ok)
7. FF Power supply replacement done
8. Calibration & Tuning done
9. Cable route check
10. Grounding check

Even after doing all these activities, we are still facing the same issue. Both GE as well as Yokogawa are clueless about this issue. So a little help is needed from everyone here.

How informative it was to read your post - with all the things you've done to attempt to resolve the FF comm problem.

There might be someone out there with the same positioners that will show up and comment, but if the situation had been solved, one would think that word would have traveled through the principal's organization in a situation that involves multiple contacts with principal(s). Plus, only a fraction of the industry participates in public forum.

Unfortunately, I live in the 4-20mA world, and have zero FF experience, but I've have read and followed fora threads on FF problems since 2003 when I started checking the web instrumentation and control fora.

In 2003, there were a number threads like yours, with FF comm issues. The most typical issue was loss-of-comm until power was cycled at which point comm resumed.

The resolutions were varied. Once or twice a firmware update on one end or the other fixed the problem, one time it was not a comm problem at all but linkage rubbing on the positioner case, one time the issue was re-configuration of some un-named setting in the positioner, there were several reports of replacing the positioners with another brand after frustration built to the breaking point, and like many fora threads - no reported resolution of any sort.

But 2003 was nearer the origins of FF and FF was still in a shakedown phase and working the bugs out. Nowadays, there are far fewer FF reports of comm problems.

I suspect that if the vendors don't get a real FF engineer involved, you'll never see an actual resolution, given all the changes you've made without any improvement of the situation; although the suggestions thus far sound a lot to me like the first level tech support person advising you to 're-install Windows', the global solution. My uninformed 2 cents is that this screams "firmware" ! ! !

I know that Profibus uses a $10K hand held "bus analyzer" that connects to the wiring and monitors the bus communications. It takes a trained, skilled technician to operate and interpret the results, but I've read of resolutions detected by the analyzers that fixed wiring problems.

I actually don't recall having heard of an FF bus analyzer, but given that you're running out of 're-installing Windows' solutions, if there is an FF comm bus analyzer one, it might pay to pay for a service tech to check things out, because if the electrical comms checks out, it leaves the firmware as the core problem.

Please keep us informed of any progress.

I somehow overlooked this article on troubleshooting FF.
https://control.com/textbook/foundation-fieldbus-instrumentation/h1-ff-segment-troubleshooting/

The article mentions Relcom who manufactures Fieldbus testers.
Relcom products

I worked on uP boards in the late 1970's and can say that each test tool has its deserved place: oscilloscopes, logic analyzers or comm bus analyzers. It might pay to connect a battery powered scope but I would not want to watch a scope waiting and wathcing for message re-transmissions; that's what bus analyzers are for.

Dear team members,
From last few months , we are facing a problem with control valves with GE Masoliniean SVI II FF(SVI3211) positioner. Without any reason, valves go to CNF/OOP mode from AUT/MAN mode. CNF is actually a communication failure error in Yokogawa DCS and OOP is output open . We are using Centum VP at our plant. SVI II FF models are fairly new positioners from GE and we started upgrading in year 2019. Following is the sequence of events that occurs:
Valve in Auto mode--->Valve goes to OOP mode--->After 10~15sec, valve goes to CNF mode--->After 10~15 sec, valve returns to MAN mode
So we discussed this issue with GE and Yokogawa and based on their recommendations, we did the following activities:
1. DCS ALF card replaced by new one
2. Mega Block replaced by new one
3. Branch cable replaced by new one
4. FF Firmware version up-grade done
5. Resource Block Parameter adjusted (i) like alert key set to 1, (ii) Grant All permission, (iii) Write priority set to 15
6. FF physical layer measurement done (Unbalance, noise, jetter, segment voltage, signal level …..all are ok)
7. FF Power supply replacement done
8. Calibration & Tuning done
9. Cable route check
10. Grounding check

Even after doing all these activities, we are still facing the same issue. Both GE as well as Yokogawa are clueless about this issue. So a little help is needed from everyone here.
Hello All,
Salman Khan,

I don't know if you tried this already but there is an enhanced software for SVI 2 FF developped By Yokogawa, here is the link:
https://www.yokogawa.com/eu/library...-pneumatic-valve-positioner-rev2-enhanced-dd/

I also got the Bake Hughes Manual for SVI2FF configuration/installation with Yokogawa Centum VP.

We can share an drive or Dropbox or freesite if you need the document just let me know.

Also , it could be great if you can tell us if there is kind of error message displayed from SVI2FF as the manual description?

Please let us know what you think about it.
Regards,
ControlsGuy25.

Hello All,
Salman Khan,

I don't know if you tried this already but there is an enhanced software for SVI 2 FF developped By Yokogawa, here is the link:
https://www.yokogawa.com/eu/library...-pneumatic-valve-positioner-rev2-enhanced-dd/

I also got the Bake Hughes Manual for SVI2FF configuration/installation with Yokogawa Centum VP.

We can share an drive or Dropbox or freesite if you need the document just let me know.

Also , it could be great if you can tell us if there is kind of error message displayed from SVI2FF as the manual description?

Please let us know what you think about it.
Regards,
ControlsGuy25.
Please can you try to reply get some feedback on my last post on this thread .

ControlsGuy25