Configure 1747-SN Scanner and 1747-ASB RIO, SCL5/05

C

Chandra Nori

I am new to the aspect of configuring 1747-SN. We have three chassis, one of which has a SLC 5/05 processor (in Slot-0) and a Scanner 1747-SN (Slot-1). A RIO adapter is present in Slot-0 each of the other two chassis. The first chasis with SLC 5/05 has two racks (total 2x10 slots). The second chassis is also has two racks (2x10 slots) and the third Chassis has one rack with a total of 7 slots. using this information how do I configure the scanner? Do I need the Advanced Programming Software? I have downloaded the Manual 174766.pdf but is not helping me. Could anyone help me in this aspect? Thanks.

Y

Yosef Feigenbaum

Hello Chandra,

Before you get started you have to decide how you want to talk to analog modules (and 32 point I/O modules) in the remote racks.

You've got 2 choices:
a) Block Transfer
b) Discrete transfer

Next, you have to decide (based on module placement) how you plan on addressing the remote racks.

A typical configuration would be to access the 1st 20 slots as rack 0, rack 1, and the 1st 1/2 of rack 2. The 2nd rack could be addressed as either the continuation of rack 2 or rack 3. There are lots of combinations based on module type etc.

Once you've got your rack layout in place it's mostly a matter of setting DIP switches.

Oh yea, you should get RSLogix 500. Don't use APS. It's obsolete and may not support your processor or all of the modules you may want to use.

If you've got any questions please feel free to contact me.

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)
[email protected]

B

Bradley Hite

Hello,

Short answer: "RTFM"
Applicable manuals:
174766.pdf -- 1747-SN Remote IO scanner manual
1747613.pdf -- 1747-ASB Remote IO Adapter manual
1747-um011c-en-p.pdf -- SLC-500 Modular hardware manual

Long answer:
The 1747-SN scanner and the 1747-ASB adapter have DIP Switches on it them need to be set correctly. These 1747-ASB scanner DIP Switches are well documented in the 1474613.pdf, 1474-ASB Remote IO Adapter manual. These DIP switches set the following pieces of information:
Starting Rack Number
Starting Group Number
Baud Rate
Image Size
Hold Last State
Processor Restart
Addressing Mode

The DIP Switches for the 1747-SN scanner are for communication Baud Rate.

You have not provided enough information in your post to allow us to provide suggestions on the DIP Switch settings. Further information including;
Types of IO modules to be used
Module placement in chassis
Numbers of module in chassis
Distance of RIO communication cable
need to be provided before DIP Switch settings can be suggested.

> Do I need the
> Advanced Programming Software? <

You do need a SLC-500 programming software package. Due to its age and the newness of the SLC-5/05 the Advanced Programming Software (APS) software probably will not work with the SLC-5/05 processor. APS was Allen-Bradley's DOS based programming software package. In most respects it was superceded by the Advanced Interface (AI) DOS based software package. The current programming software package for the SLC-500 products is RSLogix-500.

I would strongly recommend looking into the classes my company provides http://www.myplc.com.

Bradley G. Hite
Intertech Inc
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.myplc.com
Teaching Practical Skills for a Technological World

C

Chandra Nori

Thank you very much Yosef & Bradley. Your replies will give me a very good start in configuring the Scanner and the RIO modules. Sorry that I did not give you the complete picture that is out-of inexperience. Here are the points I missed that you pointed out.

on the 1st RIO Chassis:
-----------------------
AC I/P (IA16) = 3 (Slots: 1,2,3)
Relay O/P (OW16) = 3 (Slots: 4,5,6)
Isolated Relay (OX8) = 1 (Slot: 7)
Analog I/P (NI4) = 4 (Slots: 10,17,18,19)
T/C I/P (NT4)= 4 (Slots: 11,12,13,14)
Analog O/P (NO4I)= 2 (Slots 15,16)
Empty Slots = 2 (Slots 8,9)
RIO = 1 (slot 0)

on the 2nd RIO Chasis:
---------------------
T/C I/P (NT4)= 1, Slot-1
Analog I/P (NI4) = 1, Slot-2
Relay I/P (IA16)= 1, Slot-3
Relay O/P (OW16)= 1, Slot-4
Empty Slots = 2. Slots 5 & 6
RIO = 1 Slot-0

I have the program RSLogix-500 and plan to use it. The distance of RIO comm. cable does not exceed as defined in the RIO Manual. I am sure I need to use BT & Discrete Transfer.

Chandra Nori

K

Kevin Kiefer

Based on the extra info you provided, once you create a new program with the 5/05 as the processor, you will define the I/O Configuration of the chassis with the processor in it. When you add the SN module, click on Adv Config and when the module dialog box comes up, click on the box called edit G data.

The scanner module needs to be told what it should be looking for and how it should look as well. Your 1st RIO chassis consists of 20 slots of I/O (since you don't have 32 point cards, I recommend single slot addressing, that way one slot equals one word of information, excepting the analogs of course). This corresponds to 2 1/2 racks of the scanner. Click the check boxes for Group 0 for Racks 0,1 and 2. Racks 0 and 1 should be Full racks, Rack 2 should be 1/2 rack.

The second RIO chassis could start in Rack 2 Group 4 or Rack 3 Group 0. If starting in Rack 2, click on the check box for Group 4, Half Rack, Click on Rack 3 Group 0 check box, and select 1/4 rack.

If starting in Rack 3, check on Group 0, 3/4 Rack. I hope this makes sense when you step through it in RS500.

I am a little iffy on setting the ASB modules, so I will defer that to someone with more experience in using analog mods in RIO.