Earth-neutral voltage

S

sensorless

We were working on a chilling machine. after grounding the machine, we observed that the earth-neutral voltage was still 150 V which very large compared to the acceptable value of 5 V.
What can be the possible reason ?

B

bob peterson

My first question would be who decided that 5V was the acceptable value and on what basis.

My second question is how and where was this voltage measured?

3. Has this issue caused a problem?

4. What kind of power system are we talking about here. US? Something in some 3rd world place? Europe? Are we talking 480V 3 phase delta, or 240V single phase 3 wire.

--
Bob

S
We are using 3 phase operated system...

When we touch the machine with one hand and some other instrument with other hand, we feel a shock. even though its not a very heavy one, but it should not be felt.

I read it somewhere that if the voltage difference between earth and neutral < 5V, then it is acceptable. But, again i am not a electrical engineer, so, i am not sure about this value.

I had a first thought that the reason for this may be improper earthing.
Guide me please...

Sensorless... it sounds like the ground return path is ineffective. And your measurement indicates, at least to me, the situation could be extremely hazardous.

Furthermore, in another post (1297796659) you made a comment that I interpreted as meaning your electrical background is limited! My strong recommendation to you is that you seek professional help, before someone is killed!

Regards, presuming it's not too late, Phil Corso

C

curt wuollet

Amen!

Regards
cww

> Furthermore, in another post (1297796659) you made a comment that I interpreted as meaning your electrical background is limited! My strong recommendation to you is that you seek professional help, before someone is killed! <