embedded operating system

A

ARJUN

We are using Backhoff industrial PC for automation. In that PC windows embedded is used. I want to know the exact purpose of using embedded operating system instead of ordinary OS.

C

curt wuollet

There are many reasons: One is that 45 million lines of code is totally irrational for an embedded device (or automation for that matter). Another is that the much smaller embedded version is _much_ more reliable, though still not enough for my tastes. And another very good reason is that very few embedded devices have the vast resources needed to run the desktop versions. I would bet all three in Beckhoff's case. Plus the fact that they likely get the embedded version for free. And it's worth every penny. I had expected them to switch by now to something more reasonable.

Regards
cww

As of my knowledge,Backoff used embedded OS only in their PC based PLC. In our machine with backhoff industrial PC, profibus & CAN communications, SCADA, HMI,drives, PLC interfacing & I/O modules are connected. I heard that,the machine software they have done will not run with ordinary OS like XP,NT,2000. (i.e) these OS will not support the machine software (SCADA /PLC/HMI/COMMUNICATION). It is possible to make a software that will run only in embedded OS? Is any software (SCADA /PLC/HMI) or IPC are there, that works only with embedded OS?

Windows Embedded allows you to install just the basic core components of windows, and also has a facility to make the hard disk read only. It does this by providing a RAMDisk that lets applications "write" to the hard drive, but if you power off your changes are not saved. Many people want this behavior in industrial systems because your system is much less likely to become corrupted as a result of a user mucking around, or software going haywire. It also lets you do an old school "Just turn off the power" power down cycle as windows files aren't going to get corrupted.

KEJR

thanks KEJR

Generally for purpose XP embedded os is used in PC based PLC particularly(may be for PLC application or SCADA or communication)?any technical strong reason is there?

Usually just to not have a hard disk, and to run the OS without all of the typical junk a desktop operating system needs.

KEJR

I think it was also to let it run with slightly less RAM (if you stripped out stuff you didn't need), and also OEMs were able to put their own splash screens on it more easily. I think they also offered OEMs different support contracts than the regular desktop version.

It's basically just MS Windows XP however with some utilities to help you package it better for the application. I think that the XP version is dead now however, as they have brought out an MS Windows 7 Embedded to replace it.