Explosion in Frame 7FA Turbine Compartment

P

Power13031978

Dear,

Is the root cause analysis done? was it frame 7 FA machine only?
Please share to me in my mail which I have sent.

Venkatesh

Please check here for pictures : glenmorangie69.imgur.com/all/

Can someone please verify if you can see the images.

<b>Moderator's Note:</b> Yes, link works. I clicked on the first photo and the page showed all the photos.

The gas purge system has associated alarms by LOP and BOP, in case of failure it activates the associated alarm. If the unit is operated continuously for an extended period of time, it will check the tightness of the VGC gas control valve, which is being purged, simulating a B test.

For the gas purge system, check the three pressure switches associated with valves that are in gas purge, 63PGG.

In our 9FB frequently fails the sealing of the purge valves, causing the trip by DLN FAULT TRIP, check that valve leakage and is replaced.

Saludos

A

Astrid Ramirez

Thanks Bob. I verified and I can see the images.

> Please check here for pictures :
> glenmorangie69.imgur.com/all/
> Can someone please verify if you can see the images.

P

Power13031978

>Well, you have read all the discussions, what do you think?

In my opinion i'm confused how atomizing air compressor was used for purge air in gas fuel operation?

It means atomizing air compressor always remains in service...which cannot be? Information shared is wrong reg. atomizing air compressor used for purge air in gas fuel operation.

May be there was fuel changeover during which there was a backfire from combust or?

Please clear my doubts.

Venkatesh

glenmorangie,

The pictures, by themselves, are inconclusive. And, there is a paucity of information and responses to questions provided by the original poster.

I still have an issue with how one of fourteen hoses could have backflow--and where the flow would go to. (For flow to occur, there has to be an area of higher pressure and an area of lower pressure.)

I wonder if there was a low spot in this particular hose where liquids could have collected--natural gas liquids or some other combustible liquid. If there were hot combustion gases then that could explain the ignition source. (Combustion requires fuel, "spark" (an ignition source) and air.) Or, if there was some water or other liquid which caused a weakening of the flex hose which caused some backflow through the weakened area.

If there was some kind of hole/leak in the flex hose and natural gas had escaped and was ignited by some high temperature source not necessarily in or near the hose, that could have caused the explosion that was experienced. The damage to the flex hose does not seem to have been caused by an explosion, but by some kind of burning/melting which doesn't appear to have been caused by a fire or explosion in the hose.

This again begs the question: What was the condition of the hazardous gas system at the time of the incident? And, what was it indicating at the time of the incident?

It would seem that if a combustion mode transfer was taking place that fuel to one system may have been isolated and purging occurring and then when the transfer was complete that purging was isolated and fuel admitted to the manifold and flex hose in question. But we just don't have enough information.

I would have to see the P&IDs for the gas fuel and atomizing air systems of the unit in question. I guess it's possible that some gerry-rigging could have been done to bypass the normal compressor discharge air which would be supplying the purge system and use the AA compressor to direct air to the gas fuel manifolds/flex hoses needed to be purged.

Finally, running with unexplained alarms--while all too common--is just not good nor proper operating practice. Without times for the Alarms and Events in the list it's really impossible to say what happened when. And, what was the Diagnostic Alarm???

Put this together with an audible leak coming from a running turbine compartment with no action being taken and one has a recipe for disaster, which could have been a lot worse.

It would be helpful to know what the gas fuel temperature was at the time of the incident, and what the dew point temperature of the gas fuel was at the time of the event.

The darkened flange leads one to believe there was a loose flange connection--at least that's the way it appears from the photos. Again, it's really difficult to tell much of anything from the photos.

Without P&IDs and better information (data and answers to questions) it's next to impossible to add anything further.

Good comments Venkatesh but we don't have an answer to the A.A. question and the original poster has never answered the question. (To Astrid RamA­rez: How about some more info. on the use of A.A.for the group.) Like you, I am suspicious of a back fire during DLN staging.