Explosion Proof Vs. Non-Sparking Motors in Class 1 Div 2 Areas

Hope all of you fine folks are doing well!

I was recently reading a paper which states that we can use NON-SPARKING motors in Class 1 Div 2 areas instead of Explosion proof motors.

''As per IEEE standards(IEEE-1349 Std), 3 phase induction motors(non-classified) that do not have capacitors, grounding brushes or brakes installed on them can be used in Class-1 Div-2 Area’s. Even though it is recommended to have Plastic of Non-sparking fans installed on these motors however it is not a necessity.''

Anyone knows anything regarding this?

Can I use a Non-Classified, Non Sparking motor in a Class-1, Div2 Group B classified area?

Regards,
Mutahir

Basically, if the motor doesn't satisfy the rating requirement, it is dangerous.
The thing is, we have a Class 1, Div 2, Group B area at site. The old motors installed there are non-classified. But they don't have a sparking component in them as well e.g. carbon brushes, breaks, metal fans, capacitors. They are standard medium voltage Induction motors.

Now, If we buy new motors which are classified, that's too expensive as the cost is as high as 5 times against non-classified motors. So we have to convince the HSE section that the ones installed pose no threat as well since they have been running for the past 50 years with no safety concerns.

Need help.

Mutahir...
Four questions:
1) Can you provide a picture of a medium voltage motor's nameplate, especially one 50 yrs old ?
2) What is the "HSE" section ?
3) Do you have approval of the original installation, by the Authority Having Jurisdiction ?
4) Do you have approval of the original installation by the Company insuring your facility?
Regards, Phil Corso

Mutahir...
Four questions:
1) Can you provide a picture of a medium voltage motor's nameplate, especially one 50 yrs old ?
3) Do you have approval of the original installation, by the Authority Having Jurisdiction ?
4) Do you have approval of the original installation by the Company insuring your facility?
Regards, Phil Corso
I am attaching the Nameplates.

HSE Section is Health, Safety and Environment section of our site. They audit classification of equipment and general installations.

Don't have any record I am afraid.

Regards,
Mutahir

Attachments

Mutair...
I suggest you contact me at [email protected] !
Phil Corso
Sure.

However, I was going through NEC-70 2020, Article 501.125.(B).3 and that's what I found:

In Class 1, Div 2 locations, motors, generators or other rotating machinery shall comply with:
(3) 'Be open or non-explosion proof enclosed motors, such as squirrel cage induction motors without brushes, switching mechanisms, or similar arc producing devices that are not identified for use in a Class 1, Div 2 location.'

So I guess that answers it. There is no need of a classified motor on that location. A standard squirrel cage induction motor with no sparking components is OKAY.

Attachments

Mutair...
You have no history of what is installed. Not even motor manuals for the two listed. My intention for you to contact me off-forum was to provide you with Code-related FBN's. Since this forum is viewed publicly, you might be held liable for providing information that can be used in an insurance issue, at a later date!
Regards, Phil Corso