finite element method

R

rajesh

i want to know in detail about the finite element method which is to be applied for finding the voltage stress distribution along the lightning arresters

Responding to Rajesh's Wed, May 1, 4:13 pm, query:

I'm not sure about your requirement for a "Finite Element Method!" However, If you mean a method for determining the distribution of line-to-ground (earth) potential across an insulator string of discs used in overhead power lines, then I can help.

You probably realize that the percent voltage distribution is not dependent on line-to-tower potential, but only by the number of discs in the string. And it should also be remembered that extreme accuracy (defined in IEEE 100-1992) is not necessary. I have access to 3 methods, in ascending order of accuracy:

a) Unit-current injection method.

b) Disc-string as a short-circuited transmission line, using hyperbolic functions.

c) The Relaxation Principle, which lends itself to numerical solution.

If my interpretation of your need is correct, please contact me.

Regards,
Phil Corso, PE
(Boca Raton, FL)

D

David Bergeron

If you want the details, there are many books on finite element analysis. Basically, Finite element analysis models a structure by dividing it into a finite number of elements. Dynamic force/strain equations about each element to determine how the structure responds. This is of course done with computers because the computations are quite intensive. There are
finite element analysis software available.

David Bergeron, P.E.

fine, then how could i get the freeware and that program will suitable for calculating the voltage distribution(stresses) in the arresters