Foundation Fieldbus to Profibus Converter

J

Jim Smith

I have another project for digital instrumentation and I do not ever want to use Foundation Fieldbus again. My preferred network is Profibus PA as it was much easier and flexible than FF. Not all of my vendors use Profibus PA so I was wondering if someone made a converter for me to use Foundation Fieldbus products on a Profibus (DP or PA) network.

I have a very basic question

If you never want to use Foundation Fieldbus again then why do you want a converter ?

If Profibus Pa or DP is much easier and more flexible , than FF , then how do expect a converter to work ?? It must take the FF info on one side and map to Profibus structures on the other - surely this will be as bad or worse than your previous experience - likely worse as you now have the mapping to deal with.

Gary Law
Emerson Process Management

V

Verhappen, Ian

I do not know of such a device either, other than routing your signals through a host that supports both protocols, and a number of manufacturers
do this. The other option is to add another layer to your system by having OPC DX make your data transfers for you. However, as I said, this is another layer of complexity.

Ian
Ian Verhappen
[email protected]

K
Check with SST technologies. I am sure they make a device for this. I have used one for comms. between a Reliance Automax and Siemens Drives using profibus-dp.

R
I have just begun to look into finding such a device myself. I have a lot of Rosemount Foundation Fieldbus instrumentation which is being moved into another plant where the control system does not support FF. This DCS does however have a Profibus DP interface and I was wondering if there was a device which would interface between the two types of networks.

Were you successful in finding a linking device?

E

Edric Layumas

Did you find any of such converter? If yes, how is it performing. I am also searching for a similar converter. Currently planning to use FF field instruments on expansions on a Siemens control system.

Thanks,
Edric Layumas

I

Ian Verhappen

To the best of my knowledge there is no such DIRECT converter available. The best available choice at present is to use an OPC DX configuration. This entails 'mapping' the parameters across between the 2 systems, but at least you do not have to read/write the data twice to move it between systems.

Clumsy, but it is the best we have at present. Hopefully the EDDL project announced at the Fieldbus General Assembly will make it possible to make this happen in 18-24 months.

Ian Verhappen
P 780 790-4079
Cell 799-6017
F 780 790-5190
Aurora: P 780 715-9500, F 715-9700 or 715-9533
[email protected]

M

Marc Spijker

I know, that SMAR is developing a Converter from Fieldbus Foundation to Profibus. Our company already have created a conversion from Fieldbus Foundation to Modbus RTU. We have used a DFI302.

D
I have a previously owned SST-PFB-REL Automax Profibus module without a manual. If anyone has a manual, sample Automax rack configuration, GSD file, or even just advice, I sure could use your help.

Thank you in advance,
David

D
I do have an old zip file for a SST-PFB-REL. How would you like me to send the file?

> I have a previously owned SST-PFB-REL Automax Profibus module without a
> manual. If anyone has a manual, sample Automax rack configuration, GSD file, or
> even just advice, I sure could use your help.

D
Hey David,
Thanks for your reply.

I have a copy of the CD now, do you have an Automax rack configuration?

Thanks,
David

d a v i d w i l s o n
AT
j w a l u m i n u m
DOT
c o m