Gas Engine Governor Tuning

Hi,

I am a novice in control systems, and struggling on where to start to tune a Gas Engine governor for simulation i am carrying out - i have a basic knowledge of PID control but not much specifics.

I have a generic governor model, available for a gas engine in the software package i am using (see below). The simulations i am carrying out show that the system is becoming increasing unstable and not settling, so i know i need to tune the values of T to manage the integral and derivative components. What i am struggling with is knowing which ones to tune and which to leave alone.

I know that the gain K has to be set low at around 2, as the engine has a very slow response to a load step, but then i assume i have to adjust T1 as the Integral function and T2 and T3 are the derivative to control its settling onto the new value? I am not really sure what T4 controls and i assume that the functions after the limiter are for the engine and to be left alone. Am i on the right lines - any help much appreciated?!

governor parameters for tuning.JPG

Governor For Tuning.JPG

Hi,

I am a novice in control systems, and struggling on where to start to tune a Gas Engine governor for simulation i am carrying out - i have a basic knowledge of PID control but not much specifics.

I have a generic governor model, available for a gas engine in the software package i am using (see below). The simulations i am carrying out show that the system is becoming increasing unstable and not settling, so i know i need to tune the values of T to manage the integral and derivative components. What i am struggling with is knowing which ones to tune and which to leave alone.

I know that the gain K has to be set low at around 2, as the engine has a very slow response to a load step, but then i assume i have to adjust T1 as the Integral function and T2 and T3 are the derivative to control its settling onto the new value? I am not really sure what T4 controls and i assume that the functions after the limiter are for the engine and to be left alone. Am i on the right lines - any help much appreciated?!

View attachment 1500

View attachment 1499
Hi

You mentionned gas engine and block diagram shows diesel engine..
Can you tell us about actuator transfer function
And where this diagram is coming from.. Firstly.. Then we can try to support...
Cheers
James

Thanks James.

the diagram is a standard governor model developed by a software company called PSS/E… it’s pretty old (circa 1980’s) but is used as the main simplified governor model for all Diesel engines it pretty much every power system simulation software package, and referenced in the various NREL and IEEE standards. That particular image is from ETAP If it makes any difference.

My understanding was that gas engines (reciprocating ones) are similar enough to Diesel engines that the same basic governor model can be used, but with the settlings wound down, to represent the fact they have a much reduced transient capability.

i know that gas engines have variable load step capability, based on their existing load, so the plan was to use a nominal base load like 20% and try and use that as the benchmark for tuning the governor model,

The project actually has both diesel engines and gas engines, with a preference to run gas engines, as they are cheaper fuel and more environmentally friendly. I am trying to see if it’s possible to run some simulations to see how the gas engines perform under various load step conditions, or if they are going to have to keep a diesel set online to strengthen the grid.

The key problem I have is that on the project the Diesel engines and gas engines are both second hand, and bought through resellers, so we have almost no information on the governor specifics. I have a few datasheets showing load step capability and so on but that’s about it.

I know that doesn’t help too much, but just trying to get a rough idea of how to tackle the issue., and I realise the final model isn’t going to be very accurate unless I get manufacturer input.

Steve summers,

Wow.

By “Gas engine” are you referring to a reciprocating engine burning natural gas or perhaps even liquid petroleum gas (sometimes referred to as LPG)?

Or are you referring to a reciprocating engine burning gasoline?

stevesummers,

You would do well to remember: This is a technical forum. Being specific is more than just kind of important.

AND, I am not James (ControlsGuy25)—and that’s even more important.