Gas Generator Fighting Each Other...

Yes, it was like this before. But we tuned the Governor and AVR settings after that.

1. At first when this problem started the GGs weren't syncing at all at any value of KW.
  2. After tune-up of deep sea we were able to sync them at 50K and above.
  3. After further tune-up of PID settings now we are able to have GGs sync at 40KW and above.

Now we are at a stage where we need to tune further to achieve sync even below 40KWs. I will do some further tuning and share results later.
But you still did not reply if KVAR fluctuations occuring...

I do not have the CAT AVR reference can you share it here so i can investigate..

Any time!
James

I'm pretty confused (to say the least) about how the DeepSea thingie works. In my experience a synchronizing module will adjust generator
speed (what the original poster is calling 'F') to be nearly equal to grid frequency, AND it will also adjust generator terminal voltage (what the original poster is calling 'V') during the synchronization process and will then initiate or permit generator breaker closure.

There are some governors which adjust the generator (and prime mover) speed ('F') to be be a particular amount greater than the grid frequency--because that ensures that when the generator breaker closes the generator will be providing "positive" kW (or MW) to the grid. This means that the synchronizing lights on the generator control panel are usually flashing bright and the off and bright and off in pretty quick succession--and that the synchroscope is approaching 12 o'clock each time the synchronizing lights are brightest, and the synchroscope is approaching 6 o'clock when the synchronizing lights are extinguished. [NOTE: Some systems have the lights working in the opposite way--dimmest when the synch scope is at 12 o'clock and brightest when the synch scope is at 6 o'clock. There IS NO UNIVERSASL STANDARD for this; one just has to realize that the light brightness will be changing and will be at it's greatest or lowest as the synch scope passes through 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. Isn't this fun?!?!?!!] (This is another thing which is confusing to me--this description of dim and not-so-dim lights...?.?.?) In my experience, the brightness or dimness of the synchronizing lights has NOTHING to do with generator terminal voltage--it's all about the voltage difference between the generator terminal voltage and the grid voltage.

I am also presuming that the generators are synching to some "grid" (small or large), not just to each other when supplying a small islanded (independent grid). This may be part of the problem with the Deepsea configuration--I don't know that piece of equipment, and I'm not going to read the manual to learn it. I'm just pointing out possible configuration issues. The Deepsea and the Woodward governor might be trying to do different things--you are wanting synch at very low loads--and one or the other or both might not be configure properly to allow for that, especially if the "grid" they are synching to is "dead" ("black") in the beginning.

Personally, I don't understand a lot of the descriptions and terminology here--and that may be because both the Woodward governor and the Deepsea ALSO use different terms to describe the same thing(s). But, I feel pretty confident in saying that the synchronizing process is not well understood at the site and neither is the "load sharing" scheme. At least it's not being well explained here for us to be able to help very much.

Not every generator set-up and islanded grid set-up is the same. When different control schemes from different manufacturers are used that can complicate things--sometimes greatly. AND, when people think this or that should be happening without really understanding what really happens in general and the system is complicated with different pieces of equipment with no description from the integrator(s) who supplied the equipment to understand how it's supposed to work to determine if it's working correctly, well, that can be very difficult for many, many people--especially those trying to help from afar (remotely) without drawings and information and an understanding of the particulars of the system being discussed.

Please write back to let us know how you fare in resolving this issue. I don't really think that unless something is really amiss with the CAT DVR settings that you are going to find that changing the settings is going to have much of an effect, except to possibly make the problem worse or cause unintended knock-on effects.

If the system worked at one time, what has changed? Answer that question, and you will be 87.529% of the way to resolving the situation.

BY THE WAY, what is FM???