GE EX2000 EEPROM Card

V

ValleF

Hello.

I have and issue reggarding EX2000 GE. Hydro generator, 15 MW, has tripped several times in the past two weeks, due to exciter EX2000.

We have changed all boards, except DS200DCCG1A (Brain), EEPROM card. I'll describe why.

We have a DS200DCCG1A board replacement, but no EEPROM Chipset. What i need to know is if anyone has an idea of how i may get the program placed into this memory, before I made any changes? We are afraid that the replacement board may not work, cause it's been saved for a while, or if anyone can give us a guide on test point to check if EEPROM card still works fine or has any issues.

Trips have been random, fail codes are not repeating and we suspect trips are being just random or fail on configuration.

Regards.

Greeting from El Salvador, Central America.

Hello.

I don't have any experience with EX2000, but if the DCC card is the same one as used in the Mark V turbine control panels (and it seems to be from the P/N (Part Number)), I don't understand the question.

The <b>PROMs</b> are meant to be moved from the existing card to the card replacing the existing card. Because, generally, the PROMsets don't fail, it's the electronic components on the card that fail.

There is one EEPROM on the DCC card--it's the U9 chip. It should be a "large" chip in a socket, WITHOUT any label on it. That chip is the one that configuration information gets downloaded to. It can also be removed from the card being replaced and installed on the card replacing it (by removing the chip from the "new" card).

That's how it works for DCC cards used in Mark V turbine control panels. However, being that the EX2000 was designed by GE, even though it may use some of the same components there is NO guarantee it will be or was used in the same way. So, there's always that caveat.

[When the Mark V and the EX2000 were being designed, the plant manager decreed that Turbine Department (as it was known back then) would used the same hardware (cores and cards) as the Drives Department--which was a much larger part of the business in the same plant. Hence, the design of the Mark V.... Not ideal for a turbine control, but over the years it has proven to be pretty robust. It gets a bad reputation because of the myriad number of files that are used for configuration, but it's still a very serviceable and robust turbine control system. And, the EX2000 is also pretty good (though the new DFEs (Digital Front Ends) offered by GE and other manufacturers (I believe Basler Electric offers one for the EX2000) make them much easier to work with and troubleshoot while retaining the power conversion modules to save cost, and power conversion modules are usually bullet-proof).]

Hope this helps! Please write back to let us know how you fare!

La mejor de las suertes! (Isn't Google Translate just the best thing--except when trying to translate 'generator field,' it comes out to 'generator pasture'....)