Help me with compare GE 9161 - 9171 Turbine

Hello to everyone

I need some help for understanding the difference between GE 9161 and 9171 turbine,
I`ve searched a lot about this topic but I couldn't find something useful,
If anyone can help me with that I would be SO thankful.

Hello to everyone

I need some help for understanding the difference between GE 9161 and 9171 turbine,
I`ve searched a lot about this topic but I couldn't find something useful,
If anyone can help me with that I would be SO thankful.
PG9171 is the GE reference for the frame 9E built in 90s OUTPUT power is about 123MW (Non DLN combustor)
PG9161 is the GE nuovo pignone reference for the frame 9E built in 90s oUTPUT POWER IS ABOUT 93 MW (ISO)
That unit got steam injection for NOX emissions reductions

Always glad to support here!

James

9171E & 9161E decoded

first character (9) is frame size

next 2 characters, followed by sufficient number of zeros, is approximate rated horsepower

last character (1) is number of shafts.

So, this would be for 9171 ...frame 9, 170,000 HP (126 MW), one shaft (HP rotor only).

9171E & 9161E decoded

first character (9) is frame size

next 2 characters, followed by sufficient number of zeros, is approximate rated horsepower

last character (1) is number of shafts.

So, this would be for 9171 ...frame 9, 170,000 HP (126 MW), one shaft (HP rotor only).
Thanks for these information
but more than that I`m looking for difference in design, and which part is change
Is there any reference for that?

behrad_m,

GE, from time to time, and as the design of the machine permits, makes changes to different components to improve performance (which means they can increase the price of the machine). Those changes are mostly as follows, though not all components are always changed at the same time:

--axial compressor components (inlet guide vanes; stator vanes; compressor (rotating) vanes; number of stages; number of variable stages; exit guide vanes; internal clearances; vane materials)
--combustion hardware (combustion liners; combustion flow sleeves (if the machine uses flow sleeves--not all GE-design heavy duty gas turbines do (use flow sleeves)); combustion transition pieces; materials and coatings)
--turbine nozzles (materials; cooling passages (if so equipped); materials; coatings; angles; shrouds; side-seals)
--turbine frames (materials; cooling passages; cooling pins)
--exhaust diffusers (materials; design changes (angles; openings; etc.)

Sometimes, the casings of GE-design heavy duty gas turbines have to be changed to accommodate the new hardware (different thicknesses; different machined grooves or other dimensional characteristics). This means that it's not always a simple matter of buying or obtaining hardware from a newer, more powerful machine and installing them in an older machine without any other considerations (such as new nozzles or shrouds or axial compressor components).

Gas (combustion) turbines are basically mass flow machines--meaning the more mass that flows through the machine (from inlet to exhaust) the higher the power output will be. One of the single most important aspects of gas turbine performance is air flow, which is NOT just necessary for fuel combustion but it also impacts--greatly--the amount of power produced by a gas turbine. And, in today's modern world, the limiting factor for almost every gas turbine design these days is the axial compressor. Axial compressors are unique machines in the mechanical world, and with current designs (which are changing!) there is only so much air that the axial compressors can move through the machines. The materials and the designs can only withstand so much force. Hence, the move to have multiple stages of variable axial compressor stator vanes (as are used on aircraft engines), which can help move more air for the same physical size of compressor without damaging the axial compressor.

Sure, burning more fuel will also produce more power, but that generates more heat. The materials used in the machine--especially in the hot gas path (combustors and turbine sections, and to some extent in the exhaust) can only withstand so much temperature for so long, and that's a limiting factor to performance.

So, the differences between these two machines (PG9161 and PG9171) are probably pretty significant, though to look at the machine from the outside of the casings it probably doesn't look that much different.

That's a little bit, briefly, about evolution of GE-design heavy duty gas turbine designs for particular Frame sizes (in this case, 9E-design machines).

It should be noted that GE's newest machines--the HA class and newer--have pretty significant design changes throughout the machine. They are marvels of modern engineering, and are designed for part load operation as well as Base Load operation--and at off-frequency conditions, as well. (Something older machines just weren't really designed for (off-frequency operation).)

Hope this helps!

thank you both for spend time,

The explains are so helpful, opened my eyes to other parts of turbine.

Now, I`m trying to find a list of difference in Parts among these two,

First thing I found is difference in TP support which has been changed to Bullhorn type,
Looking to other difference. and also itself of TP.