HMI with VB or VC++ for a S7-300

U

Urbanz Helmut

Currently I try to make a simple program, with which I can set or reset single parameters in a S7-300 (315-2DP) CPU. First I try via MPI and later I also want to realize this communication via profibus.

Due to the fact that I have never programmed an interface, ActiveX or whatever I need for that, I don't know how to start with this project. What do I have to do?

R
If you can get your hands on the Siemans product called Simatic Computing it will give you a good start at what you are trying to accomplish. Simatic Computing is yet another OPC Server from Siemens but with a simple VB front end with some S7 Controls included. You can use it to get an idea of how the interface works and then use those same controls in your own VB application. Simatic Computing used to come with WinAC but with the advent of WinAC 4.0 they dropped it.

Ron

hello,
you may look at http://visual.sourceforge.net/. There is a HMI realized in C++, with drivers specifically for connection to Siemens plcs and some other brands. While the software is realized and intended to be used from linux, it should be easily adapted to Windows platform.
hope this may be useful

P

Phillip Snyman

Try to get your hand on the SIMATIC NET Software and install (i.e. CP1613) Drivers. By default a few SIMATIC components are also installed on your PC. Look for the DATA Component, with this component you can access your PLC directly from your custom application via some symbol table file or alternatively have direct comms to WinCC (SCADA).

T

Thomas Hergenhahn

Someone pointed you to
visual.sourceforge.net
supposing that it should be easy to port it to windows. That is IMHO not so. If you are interested in the communication with Siemens PLCs, have a look at
libnodave.sourceforge.net

This is the same code VISUAL uses for communication with the Siemens family, but packed into a single library. To port it to Windows you would have replace only the system calls to read and write characters from/to a serial line.

Thomas Hergenhahn
Author of both projects