Hour Meter with comms

M

Miguel Zepeda

Hello All,

I would like to know if anyone has ever seen a Hour meter, that with an input like from a contactor, can measure the hours a device like a motor has been working, but that this one also have a output to send to the plc the amount of hours measured. The output can be discrete, analog or preferable with comms like rs485 modbus rtu.

C

curt wuollet

Why not just have the PLC keep track of the hours and drive a small serial display if you don't have any other display?

Regards
cww

M

Miguel Zepeda

Yes, I know that you say is better and more practical, but my customer wants that the other way, and you know, customer is always right.

I haven't seen a self-powered hour meter like that, and I have looked for them in the past. If they don't exist I suspect the reason is that if anyone is going to go to those lengths (and expense) they would probably go a little further and network the controls so they can log the run-time in a central database for use by an automated maintenance software package that will do the reporting and scheduling as well. If such a maintenance software package applies some minimal intelligence it will detect time intervals whenever there is an "unreasonable" change in accumulated hours and adjust the figures with only a small loss in accuracy.

As for the question as to why not store the time in a PLC, if you download the PLC program again you may no longer have the correct accumulated hours. A self-powered hour meter will never get reset and will last for many years.

> I would like to know if anyone has ever seen a Hour meter, that with an input like from a contactor,
> can measure the hours a device like a motor has been working, but that this one also have a output
> to send to the plc the amount of hours measured. The output can be discrete, analog or preferable
> with comms like rs485 modbus rtu.

It has been a few years since this post was active. Any new hardware out there?