Level measurement of pump sump

H

Harri Multanen

Normally in a mineral process, ultrasonic- or radar meter is used to measure slurry level of pump sump. I have case that the pump sump is 10m3 size and many pipelines come to the sump (as like quite often). A radar meter has been installed on this sump but dirty steam goes inside the horn of radar and damps the echo. Purge air or -water can not be used to the horn and installation place has been changed many times.

My main question is that what kind of experience you have about laser meters? Normally the laser meters are used to measure the distance to a solid. There is froth on the slurry level and I think this can cause a problem to the laser beam or?? A Benefit of laser meter is that the meter can be installed enough high and less disturbance echo.

Also if you have an experience about separate tubes that has been installed for radar meter or other measurement types for small pump sump, I appreciate your advice.

Regards,
-Harri

I recently applied an ultrasonic level sensor from K-Tek (Model# KMICRO/4W/PVDF/1/X) in a sump application with some frothing liquids. It ocassionally will spike detecting the froth bubbles but most of the time it works quite well. I have a pump on a VFD to control level and it is typically controlling within 1.5" of SP. As long as the loop doesn't respond too quickly that seems to be a good system. The sensor has a graphing display that can show how far away any echos are being generated - that helped in locating the probe to avoid those items.

The PID is using mostly "P" control and I do let the level wander some. The sump is in a 4' deep sump with the open area about 25 sq. ft. Roughly there is 100 GPM in and out.

Russ