Linux In Controls

R

Rokicki, Andrew

Just for your information.
We are a company that uses Linux with great success(20 machines +) On Idea that we are using here is: No hard drives for OS. Linux OS is on a CD this allows us to standardize on distributions and prevents our "gurus" from customizing the OS therefore keeping all the machines the same and predictable. Also if OS goes down (it did not happened yet) to reload it you insert a new CD (5 minute job). If there is some special driver that we need and is not on a CD we use a floppy to load it.

Just my two cents and keep up the good work.

P.S.
I think Linux PLC is a great idea. I am sick of AB and all other PLC vendors with their software licenses fees, proprietary communication etc,

Please send more details about the Configuration and other details of the Control System including the process details.

Thanks

PP Muthu

Since Iran is under embargo for windows based systems, some company tend to use LINUX based system. Unfortunately we are not familiar with
this systems. Please send me detail configuration and part list for the system you are using.

S

Steve Edmonds

Hi,
I would be interested in details of;
I/O card
Programming language.

I'm just building an automated test machine, last one runs DOS and I would like to use Linux this time. 16 io + 2 serial.

steve
[email protected]

J

José Luis Córdova Barba

I want to know where I can find software, drivers, etc. to communicate linux with PLC's.

Hi ,

Can you please let me know the IO boards , the SBC/CPU , drivers you used and the vendors for all these . Is any vendor selling this whole thing as a solution .

thanks
-Subra

A

Andrew Rokicki

>Can you please let me know the IO boards , the SBC/CPU , drivers you used<

We use standard ISA I/O boards based on 8255 chip.
For A2D we use standard ISA boards.
We wrote generic IO driver that allows us to access I/O ports in user space.
This allows you to access ports in similar way as DOS programs.
PC are run of the mill 586 boards.
We don't use a hard drive.
Instead we created a bootable CD.
Once the system boots up it accesses a floppy where machine specific program is located as well as some /dev/ patches.
This allows us to upgrade quickly and standardize on a CD making OS on all machines identical.
We are also collecting Data on MSSQL server over a wireless network for that we use FreeTDS, also we communicate to Microsoft server through HTTP using web server and ASP pages as a bridge.
So far the system has been working very well.

>and the vendors for all these . Is any vendor selling this whole thing as a solution .<

We buy the stuff from computerboard but you don't have to. "http://www.computerboards.com/":http://www.computerboards.com/

Hope this helps.
If you want me to be more specific let me know.

Andrew Rokicki
[email protected]