Loss of Data

A

Anonymous

The hard disk of plant system PC has 4.2GB capacity. It had two partitions 2.1 GB each. Unfortunately by some one inserting DOS system disk the "C" drive was formatted and the complete data on drive "C" was lost. The back-up of this data was kept on drive "D". The system in not detecting the drive "D". It shows one logical drive "C" only (fdisk). Some can help to restore the drive "D" without loss of data. So that the back-up could be copied on "C".

I'm not completely sure about the system you're running, but generally the drive "D" is simply a partition of drive "C" and it is probably the software that is on your system that is not recognizing "D". You may want to try taking the hard drive out and installing it into a different system to try to glean the information off of the disk, and then reinstall it into the original system. Like I said, I'm not sure, but I've had good luck with this approach in the past with similar circumstances.

> The hard disk of plant system PC has 4.2GB capacity. It had two partitions 2.1 GB each. Unfortunately by some one inserting DOS system disk the "C" drive was formatted and the complete data on drive "C" was lost. The back-up of this data was kept on drive "D". The system in not detecting the drive "D". It shows one logical drive "C" only (fdisk). Some can help to restore the drive "D" without loss of data. So that the back-up could be copied on "C".

Question... Was this a DOS or WIN95/98+ system?

1. Will the compuker boot to C: drive?
If so, type VER and hit enter. If you have DOS version 6.0 or greater, you should be in good shape. Try to Reboot from the A: drive, if it boots, type VER and enter to compare the versions. Hopefully they are the same. Then type DIR/A/P and look for the file "Unformat"
If you have the file "Unformat", then type UNFORMAT/? to get the proper info in using this command. Print it if need be.
Type in UNFORMAT C:/TEST and enter. This will ONLY display the information on C: If it looks OK, then type in UNFORMAT C:/J and enter. This should restore you to a useable system.

2. If you had a WIN95/98+ system, you may have a problem with recovery!

E-mail me if you need more info, Good Luck

[email protected] SUBJECT: Hard Drive

What did FDISK report as the partition size for drive C:? Still 2.1G? or now 4.2G <*gasp*>

It's scary when you say someone formatted C:

Was it a Microsoft take-over-the entire disk install? This could be a problem, as the disk may have been repartitioned prior to the format, which is indicated
if, as you say,you are only seeing drive C: (I assume you're booting from a floppy or CD).

Last time I did something screwy to my partition table, I booted a knoppix (Linux) disk from the CD and used its partition program to fix it (it may be called fdisk
too, or something like that (cfdisk?)) There are a lot more options than fdisk.

But it's not for the faint of heart. It would help if you knew what format the partition was in: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS.

You may want to invest in a data recovery service, and explain to them exactly what was done to the disk.

Rufus

i use external drive enclosure to recover files from hard drives. i even recovered files from virus infected drives. if your files are backed up on your D drive, and i am assuming it as the second partition of a single drive, you might be able to recover it. starting up from a boot disk usually would only format the c drive.