Making extension for Molex P4 connector

F

flizit

Hi all,

I'm just an end-user trying to make a custom desk using some adjustable height legs I recently purchased.

The cables that came with the legs are 4' in length, and connect the controller box to the legs for up/down movement.

The seller is not capable of sending cables of the needed length and recommended that I have them made on my own.

Hopefully there's some help/wisdom here in getting these done correctly.

As I can best determine, the connectors are 6 pin MiniFit Jr 5557-6 Males.

I'd like to make either a longer version of this (Male-Male), or an extension version (Male-Female).

If I look into the connectors, I think I see wiring going to all six pins. This makes me think that the wiring setup used for these connectors is similar to the WTX 12V CPU (P4/P5) pinout:
http://pinouts.ru/Power/wtx12cpu_pinout.shtml

The cables I have in hand look much like this:
http://www.molex.com/mx_upload/family/minifit_overmolded__cable_assemblies/mf-overmolded_intro.jpg

I was also given this information regarding the controller and legs:
"Our control box has an output voltage of 31 vdc. The lifting columns have an input voltage of 24vdc."

So my questions are:
Is this the right place to inquire about how/where to have these cables made?
If not, do you have a suggestion on who to contact?

The WTX 12V CPU pinout has three +12v wires. Is this a match for what's needed to controller the legs, based on the specs I posted regarding the legs/controller?

Where should I go to buy these cables/have them made?
What specifications do I need to provide to have them made correctly?

Thanks so much, in advance, for your help!

Rgds,
flizit

If all you need are extension cables, then can you just buy a male- and female end for each cable you need, with the correct pins/sockets for each end, and build your own "straight-thru" cables--pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, pin 3 to pin 3, and so forth?

You don't need any power; the cables--as I understand your description--are just like an AC extension cable you would use for lamp or clock-radio. It has a male end and a female end and is wired straight through; the cable doesn't provide power, it just "passes" the power through from end to the other.

Both pictures look very much like the power supply connectors used in any desktop or tower PC to provide power to disk drives (hard and optical and floppy). Try searching www.newark.com for Molex connectors, or some of the other electrical supply sites. I put "MOLEX 39-01-2060" into my preferred Internet search engine and found them for USD 0.29 each, along with a list of suitable contacts and data sheets at www.alliedelec.com.

Again, from my understanding, all you really need is an extension cable, and all that requires a male and female end, with appropriate pins/sockets, and just straight-thru wiring from end to end (connector to connector). The power/signals would come from the controller end to the actuators. They mightn't be the prettiest cables, but they would likely work--if I understand the problem description correctly.

flizit,

Based on the information you provided both would appear to be adequate. My only concerns are:

1) be sure you get the required male and female connectors (the plastic ends)

2) be sure you get the required male and female metal pins and sockets for the plastic connectors

3) be sure the wire you buy will fit in the metal pins and sockets

Best of luck--sometimes it's a bit of trial and error, but if the 120VAC extension cord analogy is correct the hardest part will be getting the right connectors. You should be able to use the measurements from the data sheet to confirm the ones you want to buy will match what you have. The worst part is--the shipping will likely cost more than the parts!

Thanks CSA!

Looking at the Molex Data Sheet, 18AWG is the largest gauge supported by that connector set.

Will 18AWG be sufficient to support the setup I'm running?
If that's the case, will this cable work for my purposes:
http://www.awcwire.com/part.aspx?partname=soow-18/6

Thanks so much for your help...dunno if I'm being extra cautious, just don't wanna mess anything up!

Rgds,
flizit

flizit,

Caution is always good. And usually healthy, too.

According to the data sheet, the wires are rated for 600 VAC (well above your application) and for 5.6 Amps. That's the critical value--Amperes. As long as the application doesn't require more than 5.6A you're okay.

And that information can likely be found on the actuator nameplate, or from the desk manufacturer. And, since more than one park of the six conductors probably carries current then even if the actuator draws more than 5.6A it's probably still okay. (That may be why they use more than two conductors....)

Let us know how it works out!

Gave a test cable a go, and the legs work just fine with it.
Thanks so much for your help!

What a huge relief!

Rgds,
flizit