Mark-V - Configuring logger to print to network printer

B

bh4

Our logger is currently set to print to Okidata 591 printer (which is set to the Alarm Printer name). I tried setting the network printer's name to Alarm Printer but from the mark-v HMI it will be seen as Alarm Printer on xxxx ( name of the sharing computer ) is there any way that we can make sure that the logger will print to the network shared printer?

Thank you :)

If you can add a printer which has its own Ethernet connection and PDH IP address to the PDH (not a shared printer which is connected to another computer on the PDH) you can then change the printer's name to Alarm Printer and the TCI Alarm Logger will find it.

However, it sounds like the printer you are describing is actually connected to a computer on the PDH via a serial or parallel cable, and that is not technically a network printer. A network printer would have it's own Ethernet cable and PDH IP address and *not* be connected to a computer on the PDH.

And, what kind of printer is it that you are trying to print to? A laser printer or a "line printer"?

Create a new port on your local HMI. Point this at the network printer (e.g. \\server\printer). Now name the port alarm printer.

The printer is actually another computer (which is installed with a logging software). I tried to configure it as an IP as a local port but it does not seem possible for Windows NT4.0. To configure it with Windows XP is no problem at all.

Can the NET commands be used to do this from a command prompt window for a PC running MS-WinNT4.0? Like NET CONNECT or something like that?

This thread is killing me.

First off; an Okidata 591 is a line printer.

Second; why is a second computer running logging software. If it is an historian; that is different.

Third; the machine is running Windows NT 4.0. I therefore can assume this is a Cimplicity based HMI not a <I>.

Windows NT 4 and versions thereafter all support universal naming conventions. UNC must have a DNS server or a complete host file to resolve IP addresses.

With that said; I am assuming the computer running the logging software is ethernet connected to the HMI.

What KILLS me!!!! is all this setup is provided in the manuals for the TCI and Cimplicity.

CSA does not like Cimplicity and has the experience and the "bad taste" left behind from "bad installations". I someday would like to change CSA feelings regarding Cimplicity.

The TCI alarm printer can be directed to a file that is stored for 30 days and can be accessed via the Web server installed on Windows NT using IIS. I PREFER THIS OPTION. Why waste paper!!!!!

Cimplicity can be set up to be Alarm printer in your local project. Suddenly, Alarm printer is a windows based printer(UNC enabled) instead of a DOS based TCI(not UNC enabled) driven line printer.

LaserJet and InkJet cannot understand a single line print that line printers can. The reason is firmware! LaserJets need a whole page to print. They can be set up for line feeds; but then one would receive a page per alarm.

Lastly, why support old line printer? Buy a good laserJet! Set up alarm storage on your HMI, access it via your web app, backup the file every 30 days, and enjoy not finding your line printer wrapped up in it's own paper.

I am in a good mood now. bh-4 give me ALL of the details and I will send you the manual references to complete the task.

CTTech

Ok... This project is actually to remove the paper wasting and always paper jammed printer...

We purchased a software from AGGSOFT (serial printer logger)... The software enables a server to act as a printer... You can download the software trial from aggsoft if you want to test it... http://www.aggsoft.com/download/sprnlogger2.zip

We wanted the HMI to print directly to file (its like a digital paper where it logs just like a normal line printer but in digital format.) The software can be configured to accept connection through serial port @ TCP/IP (which we wanted to set up)

The serial printer server is a seperate computer which is connected to the switch where the HMI is also connected.

Add the following to the options section of you config.dat file in your f: drive
ALARM_HISTORY = YES
HST_DIR = C:\HMIDATA

The TCI will now log to files in the C:\HMIDATA directory. It will also automatically delete files greater than 30 days old.

NO other software needed.

Attach a laserjet to your HMI using Windows NT drivers and just print what you need.

OR
You can set up a Windows NT network shared printer and just print what you need.
Cimplicity can also be set up to log to a file but you have to manage that file yourself.

I forgot, you will also need in config.dat:
HST_PRC = YES
HST_EVT = YES
HST_SOE = YES
HST_DIA = YES

This tells the TCI to log all process, events, sequence of events, and diagnosic.

CTTech

I know this is an older topic, but does this ALARM_HISTORY function work on the Mark V. I have only seen it referenced in mk6 topics except this one.

I too am seeking a solution to remove our line printer from service and possibly send our alarm files to a hard disk. Actually to generate them in a file and save them.

I was considering adding a network box only for this purpose.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the great forum and all the superb info. You all have been a great help to me will little issues seen at this site.

B. Grave

M

Mike Borrelli

> I forgot, you will also need in config.dat:
> HST_PRC = YES
> HST_EVT = YES
> HST_SOE = YES
> HST_DIA = YES

> This tells the TCI to log all process, events, sequence of events, and diagnostic.

I have this implemented but when I view the logs in notepad or word I get tags followed by symbols-no time stamp. Is there a way to view these logs or is there a conversion needed?

I could not get the above to work. The files were unreadable. I found a solution using Cimplicity. This post is just for future reference. In workbook, there is a folder labelled Advanced, and a a section for Alarms. Under Alarm Printer, I made an entry in the output file that is the directory location and document name for the output file. Pretty simple to do.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm still not clear on precisely what you're trying to do.

You came in this thread pretty late, and we don't have any idea of what kind of operator interface your site has, nor what versions of IDOS or TCI and MS-Windows/CIMPLICITY the site is running. Not every function is available on every Mark V operator interface.

CTTech tried to tell everyone early on that some versions of TCI would automatically log alarm files to a GE Mark V HMI's hard disk. I think this was a "rolling" log of something like 30 days. Then, if I recall correctly, one could use MS-Internet Explorer to view the files without any other application. There was a MS-Internet Explorer "home page" set up on most GE Mark V HMIs to be able to access some files and functions like this if it was configured correctly (the HMI and MS-Internet Explorer and F:\CONFIG.DAT and a lot of other undocumented stuff!).

Using CIMPLICITY for the Mark V (or Mark VI or Mark VIe) alarm printer function does not follow GE's implementation of printing alarms with controller time/date stamps.

But, thanks for the feedback!