Mark V GSM protocol

A

anonymous

Dear All,

What is really GSM communication protocol using by Mark V System? what is different with Modbus & Why not using modbus instead?

Reason I'm asking, our Mark V system using GSM to communicate with DCS (ABB Infi90) but the DCS only can accept Modbus so need to use interface system in between and this thing is giving problem right now, intermittently losing signal.

I try Google but cannot find answer.

GSM is described in the Mark V Speedtronic Application Manual, GEH-6195. GSM Stands for GE Drive Systems Standard Messaging communications method/protocol.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the designers of the "system" you described wanted to get data from the Mark V turbine control system over Ethernet with TCP/IP protocol but the DCS couldn't be programmed for that and so this interface was used? That's just a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Arsed Guess) so take it for what it's worth, but it seems something like this caused the need for the interface.

GSM can send time tags with alarms and events, which makes it pretty desirable since MODBUS can't do that. But, in your case it doesn't mean that the time tags can be transferred to MODBUS. That's just pretty strange on the surface; there's likely a good reason, or was at the time. (I'm also curious to know who the turbine packager was.)

Most GE Mark V operator interfaces (<I>s or GE Mark V HMIs running MS-Windows and CIMPLICITY) are capable of MODBUS so there's a huge question as to why that interface wasn't used directly.

Most of the problems with GSM can be traced to improperly configured data lists, using signals that don't exist in the Mark V control signal database. The other problem is that the GSM server is usually configured to ask for data for just about every signal in the Mark V and at a very fast rate.

I would ask when did this problem start? After some maintenance outage when some "programming" or configuration on the operator interface was done? If this is being done an a <G> Gateway computer with an <I> (the early IDOS operator interface systems), and some significant changes have been made to the Mark V configuration and not transferred to the <G> database and the Global Data Dictionary files on the <G> weren't "rebuilt" can also lead to similar problems.

But, what has changed is one question.

And what kind(s) of operator interface(s) are in use with the Mark V turbine control system at your site?

You can communicate Modbus to Mark V, but you may have to use RS232. To use Ethernet you need the GSM protocol.

Also, I believe ABB Infi90 can communicate with GSM protocol, at least on a Mark VI - it was done on a project in Mexico. The ABB Infi90 for that project was supplied out of Wickliff, Ohio.

Dear CSA & otised,

thanks for the reply. Now I got some idea what this GSM is all about. It interesting because for our GT they using Modbus with fiber optic but for ST they decide to use GSM with additional interface system. FYI we were using HMI which I replaced 3 years ago. Now I need to call both GE and ABB if they can configure it directly. Last time I though they using GSM because of limitation in Modbus address.

thanks again.

W

Wassim Daoud

You can use OPC for this. The OPC Server for MarkVI can communicate to your Mark VI system. And the OPC Server for ABB Infi90 can communicate to your DCS. and then you can connect both OPC Servers with data manager. Here are the products to do so:

OPC Server for Mark VI
http://is.gd/cKfA0

OPC Server for Bailey DCS:
http://is.gd/cKg5k

OPC Data Manager:
http://is.gd/cym3H

Hope this was helpful

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect
www.MatrikonOPC.com

F
ABB also provide a wonderful HMI - Power Generation Portal that create communication link between these two system . We also successfully install con-generate power and commercial operation.

When you need additional information , contact me