Mark V HMI Hard disk failure

I

Iqbal

IS it possible to replace the hard disk with all programmes and Fdrive files without booting controllers?

Iqbal,
The short answer is yes; there is no need to reboot the control panel processor(s) when replacing the hard drive of a GE Mark V operator interface (<I> or GE Mark V HMI). The operator interface is completely independent of the control panel and can be shutdown and re-booted any number of times without affecting turbine operation or the control panel.

The complete answer depends on whether or not you have good back-ups from the last time the Mark V control panel was downloaded to--which most sites do not have. Without recent back-ups, you will probably have to cross your fingers and toes the next time you need to perform any downloads or if you have to re-boot processor(s) in the panel for any reason.

Also, if you have a GE Mark V HMI (running MS-Windows and CIMPLICITY and TCI and CIMBRIDGE), you are going to need the most recent CDs with the proper software on them, and you will have to call GE-Fanuc to "transfer" the CIMPLICITY license.

But, as long as you have recent back-ups of the F: drive software from the most recent download to the Mark V panel it won't be necessary to re-boot the control panel processors.

B

Bob Johnston

I've never really tried it but I guess if you have another PC and a back up of the failed drive you could make a new disk and install it. I would then upload the EEPROM to be sure everything is OK.

It's not a perfect solution, is there no way you could get the unit offline even for an hour?