Mark VI - VCMI Board Replacement

F

Fausto

Hello,

Recently we fouund out that the VCMI board was damaged, we replaced with a new one and, markvI controller did not work.

What I want to know is? is there a special procedure?? of course I tried to download the firmware from toolbox to that board but It didnt let me do that. Also, I accessed QNX OS of the UCVE board. from there I tried to communicate to VCMI through TSM application and I Couldn´t, I got a message error saying that there was a problem with "DPM manager"

My second question is: does the revision matter?
If yes, where is the revision number ID om the board?

Thankyou very much, your help will be hugely apprecciated.

Fausto

It's alarming the number of people reporting failed VCMI cards. It would be very helpful to know what the failure mode is. How are they failing? What is the indication they have failed? Is it power supply voltage spikes or grounds that seem to be causing these failures?

It's difficult to believe this many VCMI cards are just failing and, to my knowledge, GE hasn't issued a Product Service Bulletin (PSB) or Technical Information Letter (TIL) about the failures.

I believe if you search control.com that someone recently posted they procedure they use for replacing the VCMI card.

I believe the revision is printed on the card edge that is visible when the card is inserted in the processor rack. The revision of the card must be the revision that is selected for the card in Toolbox and then downloaded to the card/processor rack.

But, please tell us how you determined the VCMI card is not working and what you attribute the failure to? Was there a 125 VDC battery ground present on the system at the time of the failure?

Are DACAs (one or more) being used as the power source or as the "back-up" power source"? If so, what is the power source for the DACA(s)? Is the power source to the DACA(s) clean and reliable? Is the output from an inverter or UPS? If so, does the output switch from "station AC" to inverter AC on loss of station AC or is the output on continuously?

It's been said before on control.com: DACAs cannot be considered to be any kind of filter. And, if the <CPF> is used in the Mark VI panel, it should be noted that it's primary purpose is to prevent electrical "noise" from the Speedtronic panel from getting "out" of the panel and onto the power supply(s) of the panel. They are not really efficient at filtering incoming power for spikes or dips.

Lastly, people, for whatever reason, believe they can power down and power up a Mark VI Speedtronic panel using the mains circuit breaker(s) without powering down each individual processor, including VPROs, using the individual switches in the Power Distribution core. In other words, they leave the PD core switches on, and switch off, then on, the mains circuit breakers to the PD. While this doesn't cause a lot of problems in a laboratory or factory setting when no field I/O is connected to the panel, it is <b>NOT</> the proper method for panels with field I/O connected to it. Never has been.

R
Did you ever get your VCMI board problem fixed? I used to download them for GE when I was a field engineer for Salem. I also have about 10 of those VCMI cards IS215VCMIH2BB brand new in the box if you know of anyone that is interested. If you are still having problems downloading the boards I can probably help.

Ron Vincent

Dear Fausto

You may use the following procedure
Replacing a VCMI

To replace and reload the VCMI

1. If a VCMI has failed, the rack should be powered down,
and the IONet connector unplugged from the board front, leaving the
network still running through the T-fitting.

2. Loosen the top and bottom screws on the VCMI board.

3. Use the upper and lower ejector tabs to disengage the controller from the backplane

4. Remove the VCMI and replace it with a spare VCMI.

5. Use the upper and lower ejector tabs to install the new VCMI board.

6. Tighten the top and bottom screws to secure the new VCMI or VPRO to the VME rack.

7. Power up the VME rack.

8. From the toolbox Outline View, under item Mark VI I/O, locate the failed rack.
Locate the VCMI, which is usually under the simplex rack, and right-click the VCMI.

9. From the shortcut menu, click Download. The topology downloads into the new board.

10. Cycle power to the rack to establish communication with the controller.

This is also available in System Manual GEH6421 Vol-I. U need not download the firmware in the first place

Wish u good Luck!

Salem have acknowledged problems with IS215VCMIH#B and H#C. The issue is with socketed IONET transceiver chips, each of which control communication signals through a single IONET. Some cards using socketed chips, manufactured between 2006 and 2009, have experienced communication issues. The chips are installed in sockets at locations U2, U29, and U50 behind the coaxial sockets.

Older and newer versions have the chips directly soldered on the board I think. If this issue comes up and no spares on hand I would say nothing to loose in removing the chip from the socked, applying some nygel sparingly and re-seating.

Dear All

The new VCMI from Salem is PK-IS215VCMIH2B.
Probably the socket chips in the earlier version is replaced by soldered chips.

Hi Ron,

Do you still have these boards? Please share your e-mail id and i shall send you my requirement.

Regards,
bhira

Salem have acknowledged problems with IS215VCMIH#B and H#C. The issue is with socketed IONET transceiver chips, each of which control communication signals through a single IONET. Some cards using socketed chips, manufactured between 2006 and 2009, have experienced communication issues. The chips are installed in sockets at locations U2, U29, and U50 behind the coaxial sockets.

Older and newer versions have the chips directly soldered on the board I think. If this issue comes up and no spares on hand I would say nothing to loose in removing the chip from the socked, applying some nygel sparingly and re-seating.
Thank you Lionel for your details, please i have 2 questions
What is nygel ?
How can i dowload a firmware?

Did you ever get your VCMI board problem fixed? I used to download them for GE when I was a field engineer for Salem. I also have about 10 of those VCMI cards IS215VCMIH2BB brand new in the box if you know of anyone that is interested. If you are still having problems downloading the boards I can probably help.

Ron Vincent
Thank you Ron Vincent
I have 4 IS200VCMIH2C cards have a problem of a CD collusion do you have any idea?

Brahim, did you get this fixed? What do you mean "CD Collusion" can you take a picture of the warning/alarm and attach it to this forum thread?

Have you tried IC Spares (ic-spares.com)? Or Gas Turbine Controls (callgtc.com)? Those are two of the best of the group of direct third-party suppliers.