Mod 30 Conroller Communication over ICN

C

Thread Starter

Chetan Patel

I am trying to communicate Mod 30 controllers to wonderware scada using ICN Rack but i am not able to communicate. I am using ICN1720 Rack with one ICN card. I am trying to communicate it via RS 232 channel of Comm Card. Has anyone done it before and could any one help me out?
 
L

Lloyd Windham

Does Wonderware have a driver for the ICN?

I have worked with MOD30 since they were new in 1984. I worked for Taylor Instrument - ABB. You need an ICN driver which is not a very good driver and may not be found in most SCADA today. I have many MOD30 clients that I have communicating the Citect software. The best way is to get a new MOD30ML and replace one of the MOD30 controllers or add a new controller on the ICN and send all of the variables to the MOD30ML and then put them in the MLs MODBUS List. Then install an RS-232 or RS-485 module in the ML. It will be a bridge from the old ICN to the new fast MODBUS with a very good and fast driver in any SCADA. Updates in < 1 second vs. ICN in at least a few sec.

You can also get an OPC driver for the ICN but you are still using a slow COmLink to communicate with. The 1720 ComLink has RS-232 when the dip swithces are set correctly. Do you have a nanual? If you need one send me your email and Fax number and I will send you the pages with dip switches. You need ICN resistors on on and only one I/O card.

Tell me how many MOD30s you have. Each MOD30 has an ICN address switch as well as the ComLink Board. You need to put the variables in the forground that you want to read in Wonderware. It will be much easier to do it with an ML and eliminate the old link and ICN driver.

Let me know about your system and I will make some suggestions and could supply what you need and even program it for you.

Do you have ICONFIG software and the MOD30 configuration file (.ins) for each controller?

[email protected]
 
K
Lloyd is correct that the 1720N Comm Link is relatively slow, compared to the new MOD30ML's Extended MODBUS interface.

However, the ICN OPC Server performs very well compared to previous ICN "drivers".

For example, we have one customer site using CiTect on a system with 58 MOD30s (including SLUs) and a few MOD30MLs and Modcell MultiLoop Controllers. The server has over 1200 tags in it and CiTect is currently reading about 750 on full scan. The system is able to refresh updates in 1 to 2 seconds, though writes take a bit longer to refresh.
I am not aware of a site using the ICN OPC Server with Wonderware, but I could research it if you have not already resolved this issue.

There are two issues with using a MOD30ML as a gateway.
1) If the MOD30ML loses communication, you will lose communication with all devices.
2) The MOD30ML is limited to 32 variables that it can receive over it's ICOM channels. Supervisory Messages would have to be configured in order to receive more than 32 variables. This may be acceptable, if you do not require fast updates for those points.

If you need further information, please contact me or visit our web site.

[email protected]
http://www.micromodautomation.com
 
Top