over heating of induction motor

S

sakthivel

I connected a 3.7KW motor with 6KW pump. motor is taking 5Amps current while its full load current is 8Amps. But the problem is motor is excessively heating. Can any one suggest a solution and reason for heating?

Sakthivel... please provide answers to the following questions:

Q1) Nameplate data?

Q2) Ambient temperature?

Q3) Motor temperature?

Q4) Duty-cycle?

Q5) Line-line voltages?

Q6) Line-currents?

Regards, Phil Corso

D

David Schmitt

If motor is dual voltage, make sure it is connected properly for the applied voltage. Also, make sure rotation is correct - most cooling is independent of direction, but not all.

> I connected a 3.7KW motor with 6KW pump. motor is taking 5Amps current while its full load current is 8Amps.
> But the problem is motor is excessively heating. Can any one suggest a solution and reason for heating?

OKAY! I have to ask a couple of questions.

1. Is this a trick question? A 3.7kW motor. A 6kW LOAD. I don't know about the current readings, but is it any surprise that the motor overheats?

Ok, let me suggest the reason the motor overheats then. The motor is too small for the load. The load is too big for the motor. The motor is working too hard, and drawing more current than the windings are able to handle, so it's getting hot. Isn't it that simple?

2. Is there a problem with this forum's website? I keep getting server disconnects, no data or blank pages. It's not my connection, just happens with this site.

3. Also, for this thread:

When I Search (using the Search toolbar) for this thread, I get the following result in the listing for this thread:

"Even though the motor is taking normal current its heating abnormally and that motor is not heating while it was connected with a 4KW pump"

but this comment does not appear in my view of this thread. It seems like something is screwed up, like there must be corruption of the Forum Database, or some such problem. Can anyone comment?

<b>moderator's Explanation: <i>when you look at the main/entry page of the forum at www.control.com, each thread has a summary associated with it. The author of the message, creates the summary before the message is posted. It is part of the form you fill out originally when you post a message. If you really want to see summary for this thread, use "Jump" box on the main/entry and enter the date the original post was made and click jump.</i></b>

Anyway, the "hidden" comment simply supports my previous response. When driving a 4kW pump, the motor can cope. When trying to drive a load that is more than 50% greater than its rated output, it can't cope. Isn't that all there is too it?