phase angle due to motor windings

E

engineer

what is the phase angle developed due to the windings of a 3 phase induction motor (per phase)?

just to add to what csa points out, for an induction motor the phase angle is pretty much the same for each phase, apart from slight differences in the windings, the core material, and load fluctuations.

at low load the phase angle is generally high and at rated load it is lower, i.e. the power factor closer to unity when the motor is delivering work.

Engineer...

did you mean the physical placement of the phase-winding around the periphery of the motor's stator? Or did you mean the Load-Angle associated with the machine's Power-actor, that is, the displacement-angle between Terminal-Volts and Line-Amps?

Regards,
Phil Corso

thanks CSA and D_,

i agree and just to present my perspective:

the phase angle has to be pretty much the same. consider the star connection (i prefer to call it star and not y, sounds a little lesser earthbound :), if there were big phase angle differences from the 120, there would be problems.

the motor runs at a better power factor if the load is near the rated full load of the motor.

in any case (any given load), as CSA pointed out, if i know the power factor, i know the phase angle.

i now realize the ambiguity in the question due to the way it was put. i meant the displacement angle between the voltage and the current.

Thanks.