Power Line Carrier

N

Nandra R.D

Hi,
I am looking some information about the use of PLC (Power Line Carrier or Power Line Communication) as media transmission in SCADA technology, specially for oil and gas industry (such as to monitor well performance, etc.). I would be happy if some one can share it with me. Looking forward your reply. Thank you very much.

Warm regard,

Nandra Dj. D., IT Technology, Business and Data Support

PT. Caltex Pacific Indonesia
A subsidiary of ChevronTexaco
Rumbai, Pekanbaru 28271 Riau, Indonesia
Tel 62-76-592672 Fax 62-761-

F

Fred Kedjierski

Line carrier is actually very simple. During WW II the government requested (?) that all local unregistered radio stations go off the air so the Germans could not use the radio signals to target bombs. These unregistered stations were local stations, often only covering a college campus or private neighborhood.

The stations simply uncoupled their output amplifier from the antenna and coupled into the power lines. The signal now went down the lines and of course radiated off the lines into the air. As long as the re-radiation into the air is less than the FCC alowable maximum, it's all legal and no licenseing was required. Typical this meant that if you had a radio tuned to the station, and were within 200 feet of a power line, street lanp, or outlet, you recieved the signal.

I have dirven legal signals into the lines that were recievvalable 18 miles away within 10 feet of a power line. Audio is easy, high speed data is very different.

Good luck
Fred