Siemens Controlotron 1010 flow meter modbus card problem

I

interop

Our customers have Siemens Controlotron 1010 flow meter with 1015N modbus card. I configured the card according to manual but can only read first 6 registers.

I set Datalogger Mode to RS-232 Output
Set Log Interval set to DEMAND
selected ALL datalogger items.,

Set communication parameters between the FUS 1010 and 1015N card to

Bacud rate = 9600
Party = Odd
Databits = 7
Linefeed = No
Network ID = 1
RTS Key Time = 0.2

I also enabled both dual channels

All like described in manual. Can Read via Modbus only 6 registers and don't know what else can do. Any advice what else I can try?

Thank you

E

Elmer Bulman

If this connection is Modbus RTU protocol then you would not want to be using parity and 7 bits. One would normally use 8 data bits and no parity in RTU protocol because Modbus RTU protocol uses CRC error checking.

C
Wow. I found the manual 1015N-5FM-1Revision D SITRANS F 1015N-5M on Siemens' site. Controlatron is very Retro, very 1978ish.

1) RS-232 setup page 3:

"The 1015N-5M is a protocol converter module designed for use with the Siemens 1010 family of flow computers. It allows communication to take place between the Siemens flow computer’s RS-232 port and RS-232, RS-485 or RS-422 ModBus or N2 Masters."

page 8:
"This sets up the communication parameters between the FUS 1010 and the 1015N-5M card. Note: These are not the ModBus or N2 parameters".

Then it lists all the comm parameters (baud rate, etc) listed in the OP's post.

I interpret those statements as the RS-232 setup you did somehow enables internal communication between the local RS-232 port and the Modbus 'protocol converter' card. That RS-232 setup does NOT apply to the field RS-232/485 port on connector J2.

2) Apparently, the field comm port J2 port parameters are factory configured, and are field changeable only with a DOS program. How convenient ! !

pg 19:
"All ModBus cards shipped from Siemens are preconfigured for the end flowmeter. No uploading of configuration or parsing files is required."

It isn't clear how those factory preset parameters are determined in the field, since the manual shows the fill-in-the-blanks order sheet where the comm parameters "must be specified".

We all know how often that order sheet gets to final destination and can be easily located.

I could not find a default set of comm parameters in the manual, although they might be buried somewhere that I missed.

So, my assessment is that you lucked out if the comm parameters that you put in match the ones burned into the flow meter at the factory; and that you get valid comm at all.

2) ASCII vs RTU mode (issue with 7 bits)

First item 1) above indicates that the RS-232 setup does not affect the Modbus J2 comm port, so 7 bits there is not an issue.

page 3:
"The converter can be configured for use as an N2 slave, or ModBus slave; in ModBus mode, either in ASCII or RTU mode, Gould or Daniels protocol. For ModBus both 16 and 32 bit floating point data can be configured."

The fill-in-the-blanks order sheet (page 22) has a selection for either ASCII or RTU mode.

If the data you are getting back is valid, then your master is matched for either ASCII or RTU, whatever the meter is factory preset to, otherwise the word size/parity mismatch would
halt all comm.

So the question is:
Is the data you got from the meter valid, readable data? Did you luck out on RTU 8 bit format?

3) > I can only read first 6 registers.

Specifically which registers did you poll that returned data?
30001 . . . . integer data?
40001 . . . . IEEE floats?
45001 . . . . Daniels format?

Specifically which other registers did you poll that did not return data?

What is the master's reaction to a poll that does not return data?

4) pg 4:
"all data that is accessible from the flow computer’s datalogger function." What data do you expect to see?

Not 1Mb of stored datalogger data, I hope. The data logger data is NOT part of any real-time Modbus functionality.

Modbus doesn't download databases. The Modbus spec allows reads up to ~ 247 (?) contiguous registers, but the flow meter datalogger data is not available to the Modbus port in any such fashion. The 1Mb of datalogger stored data can be downloaded with some other utility.

5) The flow meter's slave maps are model dependant. Which model 101xxxxx is involved?

6) What are you using for a master?

Carl Ellis

G
Your RS-232 settings on the 1010 data logger port are correct.

In order for me to assist you I need a little more information.

1. Version of the 1015N card firmware (EPROM Label).

2. The type of interface used for the 1015N card. RS-232, RS-485 Two wire (half duplex) or RS-422 Four wire (full duplex).

3. The version and names of the 2 files loaded into the 1015N card.

4. The polling equipment type.

5. And if possible a wiring diagram.

6. What is the Modbus address of the 6 registers you can read.

One of the first versions released had a problem with function code 17 (11 Hex) Report Slave ID. If your Modbus driver uses this function the 1015N card will hang on the 2nd Report Slave ID request. Report Slave ID is a Two byte function code all other function codes are Three bytes or more. I’ll have to lookup what version has this problem I don’t remember. I don't think this is your problem because you can read some registers.

There are several other items that can cause it not to work.

I need to know more about your application in order to provide you with a solution.

You can contact me by phone and I’ll go over it with you.

Gary Dudley
Automation Engineering
BP Exploration Alaska Inc.
Office: (907) 659 5969
Email: [email protected]

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem as the first entry.

I have a 1015N-5M card assembled in a SITRANS FUE1010 Flowmeter, two available channels.

The parameters of modbus configuration RS-232 are the same, just like the manual says:

[Meter Facilities]->[RS-232 Setup]

Bacud rate = 9600
Party = Odd
Databits = 7
Linefeed = No
Network ID = 1
RTS Key Time = 0.2

In the flowmwter menu:

[Meter Type] (2 Channel) ->[Channel 1] (Clamp ON) -> [Logger Setup]

Datalogger Mode = RS-232 Output
Logger Data = ON
Logger interval = DEMAND
Logger Events = NONE
Display Logger = OFF

The parameters between my PLC and the 485 card are just as the manufacturer indicated us:

BAUD RATE: 9600
STOP BITS: 1
DATA BITS: 8
PARITY CHECK: NONE
MODBUS DATA: 16 BITS
DATA FORMAT: WORD NORMAL
MODBUS MODE: RTU
MODBUS FORMAT: GOULD

I only have be able to read 7 holding registers (40001 - 40007) when I have to read a table just like Table 8 from the manual, DUAL CHANNEL ENERGY SYSTEM (page 33)
And the answer always is everything at 1.

Asking for INPUT REGISTERS always gives back error message

Question: (01 04 00 00 00 03 B0 0B)
-> Answer (01 84 04 42 C3)

Asking for more than 7 HOLDING REGISTERS or in 41000 address

Question: (01 03 03 E8 00 03 85 BB)
-> Ansewr (01 83 04 40 F3)

I have to say that my tests are in the office without the transducers connection, so the flowmeter doesn't have a complete configuration.
In the menu:

[Channel Setup] -> [Channel Enable] is constantly NO, and impossible to change to YES.

I really don't know if this fact has anything to do with the communication problem.

FUS1010 Problems with Comm Card for Modbus.

Make sure you have the latest Firmware on the card. Any rev equal to or less than 5.0 will not work and causes problems.

I just got off the phone with the guy at Controlotron and he said I needed Firmware Eprom 5.1.

If it works I'll try to remember to post a success.

Paco

W

William Vaughan

Yes, If you are experiencing a communication failure and the active light stays on then you will need to upgrade the EPROM to version 5.1.

First of all, thank you for your answers.

Yes, the EPROM version is 5.1.

The problem here, besides or instead of the MODBUS configuration is the Flowmeter configuration.

The 1015N card is answering with errors but is answering, maybe these errors are because the Flowmeter card is not transmitting information via RS-232 to the 1015N card.

The Flowmeter does not have the channels enabled because the transducers are not installed yet
(without the installation is not possible enabling the channels)

My doubt here is if I need to install the transducers first to be able to test the flowmeter

I set up a Test jig with a piece of plastic pipe so I could get some flow rate albeit very low with no Fault.

Had to swap integers in the read command with the Prosoft Module MVI71-MCM module that I am using. for the 41000 registers. (The 30001 registers don't convert to Float.)

After installing Firmware 5.1 my intermittant problem went away and starting having real success reading data from my 4 channel Controlotron(Siemens)1010FUS meter. I got 12 integers(30001-30012 and 41001-41012) from each channel. I swapped the integers using the read command and then copied them into a Float File in my AB PLC and read the data just like the front panel on the meter. I read a zero when the meter was not hooked up and I got a big "F" on the front panel.

The -1 index returns status of the prosoft module. 1,2,3,4 indexes return Read data (60 wds) into PLC addresses in the Prosoft example program.

My first attempt at reading was with the Modscan PC program. My initial attempt with the Prosoft module was a simple read just like the Modscan PC program so I could check the command sent by the Prosoft module was the same from the Modscan program. Then I could work on the Prosoft command structure. (You check what's going out the Prosoft Module Ports by Hyperterm to the Prosoft Config Port 57600baud using the Analysis tool)

I'm now using Modbus RTU with RS485 through the twin lead coax to Siemens Comm card J-2 no problem. (don't forget to set the jumper in the Prosoft module to RS485)

Be of good cheer IT CAN BE DONE! if you have ver 5.1 EPROM

Paco

If you are using a Prosoft Module for Modbus Communication from a PLC and you are getting a Command Error of -11 then you may be reading past the end of the Register file in the flowmeter. Try just reading a word or two. Then you can correct your base 0 or base 1 start read error.

Read exact same as Modscan program and compare command structure for sameness.

If you are getting an -1 Status error and no data I also saw this with the 5.1 Eprom and corrected it with a power down up reset.

You probably will need to enable the Channels in the flowmeter setup. Even with an "F" displayed you should get register data. The flowrate will be zero.

With my 4 channel 1010MN07 meter I get 12 registers in pairs for each channel's Float values for a total of 48 registers (41001 to 41048)that had to be swapped to convert properly to Floating Point. My Prosoft Module enables you to swap Integers in the Read and then in the AB PLC5 you just copy to a Float File and the data is there.

I've been told that there are compatibility requirements between the Comm Card and the flow meter versions.

Not sure but it seems that older meters IO card plug header is in a different place than on the comm card.

Best wishes,

I'm outa here.

Paco

>Addendum on compatibility:

As far as compatibility issues with the Eprom I'm told that there are none, however, The configuration for the Comm Card is not stored in the EProm and there are compatibility issues with the configuration and the revision of the flowmeter software. The factory will configure the Comm card for your meter.

Also, if you have a flowmeter that is about 10 years old or older there may be a hardware mounting compatibility issue with the electrical connection between the Comm card and the IO card immediately below it. About ten years ago they moved the 10 pin electrical header.

Also, if you have had a hard time with right angle F type connectors causing the coax to collide with the sheet metal in the flowmeter you may want to try the right angle connectors from KVconnection.com pn D-CN421-F-59-RA or DSC-34. These connectors are cable crimp on and screw on to the flowmeter (not push on) they may have less signal loss.

I'm outa here, but I may be back.

Paco