SLC IO Rack Disable

N

Niall Watson

Dear List Is there any way to prevent an SLC from generating a major fault, when the physical rack configuration does not match the software specified configuration. i.e. I am trying to simulate a system, but I do not have all the hardware available... Thanks in advance Niall PES Automation Ltd. Niall Watson Phone: 01283 741333 Fax: 01283 562303 http:\\www.pes-automation.co.uk

J
Go into the Processor configuration, and select IO. (Asuming RSLogix) This will give you access to words S2:11 and S2:12. You can enable and disable each slot based on the value of the bits in these words ie: Turn the bit on and the corresponding IO slot is enabled. Turn it off, and it is disabled. Disabling the slot should allow you to load the program with that slot empty without crashing your program. --Joe Jansen

Niall, The SLC-500, being a small machine controller, is very jealous of its chassis configuration and health; it doesn't want to run when modules are missing, as that can mean that the machine is out of control. It's a pretty well known technique to use S2:11 and S2:12 to disable individual 1747 chassis slots in a particular chassis when you want to test-run an SLC-500 program without all the modules present. However, the SLC chassis is an active part of the 1747 I/O system, too, and there is no way to disable the firmware check that checks to be sure that the chassis size in real life matches the program configuration. I had precisely that problem a couple of weeks ago and ended up having the customer remove the program files that contained references to the missing chassis and test the other parts of the program (he was really testing an RSView application with the controller). RSEmulate 500 can be a solution in this kind of situation; it emulates most SLC-500 models without requiring a physical controller, and is an excellent and compact way to test compatability of code and data tables between SLC programs and MMI programs that use RSLinx as a data source. Good luck, Ken Roach A-B Seattle [email protected]

N

Niall Watson

Ken Many thanks for your informative response. I have gone about it another way instead... Rather than referring to the I/O directly in the software, I have created an "image" table in an integer file; N10:1 = Slot 1, N10:2 = Slot 2 etc. I/O documentation is now prefixed "DI_", "DO_" etc. The code references the "image" table. A new ladder file "re-maps" data from I:1.0 into N10:1 etc. using "MOV" instructions. I/O configuration is set to whatever I currently have available. When I get to site, I will add rungs to the "re-map" file to match the installed I/O. ..and it works! Regards Niall PS I can't use Emulate500 because I have a HMI terminal which is connected via the RS232 port!