SmartCard RS485 to PC connectivity

J

Jason

Hi all,

I need to connect to a smartcard device.
However, documentations for that are not readily available (from net or otherwise).

It does have a 10 pin connections with RS485-like pin assignments.

My questions are as below:
1) Does it mean that it is using serial instead of parallel?
2) For cables to connect from PC to that device, which PC port is being used for RS485? LPT or Com?

Please help.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jason

D

Daniel Chartier

Hello Jason;
Your question is very confusing. What do you mean by "RS485-like pin assignments"? On a standard SubD 9 pin connector, RS485 uses pins 3, 8 and 5 (TX, RX and GND). I don't know about 10 pin connectors. If it uses RS485, then it definitely is a serial connection; but serial Com ports on a PC are adapted to RS232C, and you cannot use them directly for RS485 (different voltage levels). You would need some form of converter.
Please specify the make and model of the smartcard unit you wish to use; maybe some one on the list has used it or a similar model before. It would be easier to help you out.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

J
RS485 on two wires is half duplex. If you need full duplex you need to run it twice, a.k.a. 4-wire RS485

RS485 does not specify any connector at all. Not DB9, and nothing else either. Some protocols, like PROFIBUS define the DB9 pinout, but other
protocols and manufacturers are different, and many don't use DB9

Jonas

==================
[email protected]
www.smar.com