Suitable Sensor for Detection of Carry Over Condensate in Gas Line

A

Aazim

Hi to all,

this is my first post here.

I work in a compressor station where I have been asked to propose a way/modification to detect the liquid carry over particularly condensate via a transmitter/Sensor in a 42" Pipeline (Suction Header for Compressors) as carryover liquids are damaging the compressors.

Can anyone guide me a good Transmitter and the best and accurate method to detect a carryover?

I am planning to Connect a Rosemount 3051 DP transmitter for detection of liquid but the problem is I need to detect carryover and not the level of the liquid.

any advice/suggestion will be helpful.

That's not just a simple instrument problem.

You need not only a condensate drain, but a knockout drum$$$...and associated instrumentation...

Yes, you are right. that has been already proposed to the management. but at the meantime, for equipment safety, and until the K.O drum is commissioned, I am planning to sense any liquid in the Pipeline and Shut the system down. for that reason I was asking about Instrument/Sensor/Analyser.

I have also be adviced by one of my colleague the same as you have advice, but he also added to commission Moisture Analyzer and Interlock its output to system shutdown. Although I am not sure whether working of Analyzer is Feasible, as the amount of Liquid carryover, periodically, is huge.

also for assistance, let me explain the Process Flow.

The Gas enters into 4 Scrubbers via 24" Dia Pipeline, which is the first phase of filtration to remove Moisture and liquid contents. Downstream (24" Dia) of Scrubber is connected to Scrubber Header (42").

Next, Filter separators are the second Phase of Filtration to filter any solid particle bigger than 1 micron. The inlet of Filter Separator is 16" Dia connected to 42" Dia Scrubber Downstream Header.

Finally, the filtered Gas then enters into Compressor Suction Header (42" Dia Pipe Line) via 16" Dia Filter Outlet (Downstream) Pipeline.

Also, Scrubber and Filter Separators have Dump Valve installed, which are interlocked with the level trol and operates as the level of liquid rises.

The problem is a huge amount of Liquid, particularly Water and Condensate is being carried over via Scrubbers to compressor Suction header causing damage to compressor rotors.

The plan is to design a system, to measure the presence of any liquid content in 42" Suction Header Pipeline or 42" dia Header Pipeline of Scrubber and shut off the compressor station.

and for this reason, I am seeking advice to develop a feasible proposal for the safety of the system.

The problem with condensate in the line is that it can develop so-called "slugs" that sound like cannon balls flying down the pipe with velocites approaching the gas velocity...

you can install condensate drains as with saturated steam with a small branch connection and a condensate trap to reduct some of the condensation build up.

The problem with the analyzer approach is that it cannot respond fast enough. You can use it to adjust you process to avoid the saturation conditions, that is about all.

Good luck...

Thanks for you all.

But in my opinion, The Immersion Water Level Sensor is an extension and development of the pressure sensor technology. According to the principle that the pressure of different specific gravity liquids at different heights is linear, accurate measurement of the volume, liquid height and weight of water, oil and paste is realized. Transfer. The measuring component of the transmitter is a piezoresistive sensor. It utilizes the piezoresistive effect of semiconductor silicon materials to convert pressure and electrical signals. The pressure to be measured acts on the stainless steel diaphragm, and the pressure is transmitted to the sensitive chip through the silicone oil injected between the stainless steel diaphragm and the sensitive chip. The sensitive chip is connected to the transmitter-specific amplifier circuit through a wire. Since the electrical signal output from the Wheatstone bridge on the sensitive chip has a good linear relationship with the applied pressure, an accurate measurement of the pressure can be achieved. The basic principle of the liquid level sensor for liquid level measurement is to convert the hydrostatic pressure proportional to the depth of the liquid into a current signal output through the transmitter, thereby establishing a linear correspondence between the output electrical signal and the depth of the liquid, and realizing the liquid. The position, ie the measurement of the depth of the liquid.

Hope you guys will get it.