Support call for GPL'd diagramming software

D

Dan

I've been in search of cheap, easy to use schematic and diagramming software. I found a GPL'd product called Dia that is being promoted as a Visio workalike and tried it on NT4. It is apparently built on (or out of) some of the GIMP image manipulation program code. It works well enough to see that is has potential, but among other things, the symbol libraries are woefully inadequate. I'd like to help this effort, but I lack the skills and time to do much. If any of you Free/Open Software supporters do have the time and skills (and a lot of you obviously have the skills), please consider supporting this effort. You can find them at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/

C

Curt Wuollet

Hi Dan

I ran across DIA the other day again as well. I had looked at it a long time ago when it was just a start. I actually was amazed to see some usable libraries from some rather esoteric specialties. I had just updated my notebook to RH7.2 ( I nearly always stay one release behind so I can find answers instantly) and there it was. I haven't been doing any drafting or flow charts lately, but I did notice some ladder stuff. What would be handy to coax someone to add what we need is a site that has a good selection so the person doesn't have to be an automation type. Does anyone know where we could find a good symbols library that doesn't require a $10k CAD program to view? And how "universal" a set can be produced?

Regards

cww