Transducer: Input -10 to 10V, Output: 0-1ma

M

Mike

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me concerning transducers. I'm presently working on a project that will need a transducer that accepts as input a -10 to 10 V signal and outputs a 0 to 1mA signal.

Seeing that the industry standard is 4 to 20 mA, I'm having a hard time finding the 0 to 1mA output and would greatly appreciate it, if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for your response,

Mike

Look at the Wilkerson Instrument Co. DM4380A. This is field rangeable and can be set to just about anything you might need using the jumpers and the offset and span pots.

C

curt wuollet

That will probably be hard to find because it will want a split supply which isn't common in automation gear. It wouldn't be very hard to build, but it would still want split supplies. I would scale by 2 first to give an input of -5 to 5, then make a standard opamp difference amplifier with the NI input at -5V. This would ground reference the signal making the output unipolar, 0-10V. Then you can use a resistor plus the input resistance of the target device to give 0-1mA. This is not a general class solution, but should work at the necessary precision if your -5 reference is accurate.

Regards,
cww