Using Excel and DDE to collect and archive data

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone could me started on using Excel and DDE to collect data, plot it, and then archive some of the data. I know this is a broad subject and I will be getting some specifications at a later point but I am new to this application of Excel and am trying to shorten the learning curve. Is it necessary to purchase a third-party product to do these things with Excel or can it just be done with VBA and/or DDE scripting?

Thank you!

I

Ian Campbell-Kelly

Where is the data coming from? What's the hardware that reads the signals? If it's a PLC then you will need an interface and an I/O server (software package) like RSlinx (from Rockwell) or one of Wonderware's products.

M

Michael P. Cyboran

Excel comes with a Visual Basic Editor. To use this goto the tools menu then to macros. You do not need a third party software package unless you need it to make your data available via DDE. I needed to get DSData Server from AutomationDirect to get the data out of their PLC. Once it is available all you need is Excel.

You can rely on the help files to get you through most of you questions. Some of the instructions you may want to lookup are:

Channel
DDEInitiate
DDERequest
DDEPoke
DDETerminate

If you would like any assistance contact the moderator of this forum to get my email.

Michael P. Cyboran

P

Paul Cunningham

If you're using RSLinx, it's not very difficult. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you a file I made using Word with extractions from the RSLinx help file. Note: you must have the pro, oem, or gateway version of RSLinx to do this (Not Lite).

I'm trying to get data from an rslinx network into excel. to be honest I don't know how, I will apprecciate your help.

The basic requirements:
RSLinx Pro, or other version "greater than Lite"
Cfg driver to the PLC.
Cfg OPC topic to the PLC.
In Excel, cell formula - "=RSLinx|topic!address"
for example - "=RSLinx|PLC1!N7:0"

Hello,

> The basic requirements:
RSLinx Pro, or other version "greater than Lite"
Cfg driver to the PLC.
Cfg OPC topic to the PLC.
In Excel, cell formula - "=RSLinx|topic!address"
for example - "=RSLinx|PLC1!N7:0" <

I try in this mode work corectly but can't read more then 62 address.

Has anybody same problem? If yes how solved?

Please help me.