Version control SVN - TortoiseSVN

• Thread starter Rokicki, Andrew \(Andrew\)
  • Start date
R

Rokicki, Andrew \(Andrew\)

Does anybody use any version control software for Allen-Bradley ControlLogix ladder?

I use TortoiseSVN for C++ development and liked its functionality.

When using it with ladder it does not seem to work so well. The reason is files *.acd files are not pure text files.

Also every time project is saved in RSLogix 5000 entry is made in a file recording when it was saved.

Is there a way for SVN behave nicely with ladder files?

Has anybody used SVN to keep track of ladder changes, and if yes, how did you go around issues described above?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew R.
Somewhere at 41.50, -72.90

G

George Grecu

I am also interested to implement such versioning control system. Did you have any luck? Could you share your experience?

T

Tallak Tveide

Hi,

Why not take a look at tortoisegit instead? Git is imho a better vcs system since its distributed and does not require a database.

A git repository can be cloned entirely to a computer off the network or a memory stick, and you can continue to use git with its full functionality. For me at least this has been valuable since I often work at locations with limited connectivity.

Also, if you should be connected you have access to the fabolous github.com

I have the same issue as you with text vs binary files. My reccomendation is to not care too much about file size and go ahead and use a vcs. Git does compress it's history, and for systems with multiple binary files (eg siemens and intouch) it only stores the changed files so the complete repository is oftentimes not that much bigger than the original files even after many many revisions.

git is free and open source software by the way, and used by many, many people.